1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus: Limits help please

1. Feb 22, 2005 #1
    1) [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac {\sqrt[3]{1+x^2} -1}{x^2} [/tex]

I tried doing a difference of cubes to the top and I got: [tex] \frac{\sqrt[3]{1+x^2}-1 ((\sqrt[3]{1+x^2})^2 + \sqrt[3]{1+x^2} + 1)} {x^2} [/tex]

I know you need to get rid of the [tex] x^2 [/tex] on the bottom of the equation but now I'm stuck. Am I approaching this the right way and does anyone have any suggestions? Please and thank you.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

L'Hospital's Rule applies:

[tex] :(1): \ \ \ \ \lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac {\sqrt[3]{1+x^2} -1}{x^2} [/tex]

[tex] :(2): \ \ \ \ = \ \lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac {(1/3)(2x)(1+x^2)^{-2/3}} {2x} [/tex]

[tex] :(3): \ \ \ \ = \ \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} {(1/3)(1+x^2)^{-2/3}} [/tex]

[tex] :(4): \ \ \ \ = \ (1/3) [/tex]

4. Feb 23, 2005 #3
    you can use binomial expansion for

5. Feb 23, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Make the subsitution [itex]h = x^2[/itex].

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac {\sqrt[3]{1+h} -1}{h} [/tex]

Does the form of the limit remind you of something familiar?
    Looks like the derivative of a function at some point...

Alternatively, you could use the sub: [itex]t=\sqrt[3]{1+x^2}[/itex]
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  6. Feb 23, 2005 #5

I thought I got it but I didn't. [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac {\sqrt[3]{1+h} -1}{h} [/tex] looks like is from the formula [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h} [/tex]. Or perhaps not? Could anyone give me another hint or suggestion involving the question using the method above,replacing [tex] x^2 [/tex] with [tex] h [/tex] please? Thank you very much.
  7. Feb 23, 2005 #6
    You're on the right track. It does look a lot like that. Now what's f(x) and what's a? Note that [itex]f(a + h) = \sqrt[3]{1 + h} [/itex] and [itex] f(a) = 1[/itex].

8. Feb 24, 2005 #7
    So working backwards I got [tex] {\sqrt[3] {x} } [/tex] . Using the formula, replacing x with a [tex] 1+h [/tex] then: [tex] \frac {\sqrt[3] {1+h} - \sqrt[3] 1} {h} [/tex] which is [tex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac {\sqrt[3]{1+h} -1}{h} [/tex]. Going back to [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}{\sqrt[3] {x} } [/tex] and replacing x with 0 gives you 0. I don't think I'm seeing it yet. Do you replace the [tex] {\sqrt[3] {x} } [/tex] back some point into the equation?
  9. Feb 24, 2005 #8
    Nope. You know that the limit is the derivative of the function evaluated at the point a. f(x) indeed equals x1/3. I think you'll agree with me in saying that calculating the derivative of x1/3 is pretty easy, yes? All you have to do is evaluate the derivative of it at a.

Have you figured out what a is?

10. Feb 24, 2005 #9
    could a be 1?
  11. Feb 24, 2005 #10

Homework Helper

Yes, a is 1.

I like Galileo's method, it shows insight.
  12. Feb 24, 2005 #11
    so using Galieo's method, do i replace x with 1 so [tex]\sqrt[3]1=1 [/tex] ?
  13. Feb 24, 2005 #12

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The method with the derivatives is interesting/ingenious,but the one using
    [tex] A^{3}-B^{3}=(A-B)(A^{2}+AB+B^{3}) [/tex]

is simply elegant...

So the OP needs to redo calculations...

14. Feb 24, 2005 #13

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The substitution [itex]t=\sqrt[3]{1+x^2}[/itex] is easiest I think.
    The limit becomes:

[tex]\lim_{t\to 1}\frac{t-1}{t^3-1}[/tex]

De derivative method is cute and works sometimes, but usually a limit of this type shows up exactly when you want to calculate the derivative, so you cannot assume you know what the derivative of [itex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex] is.
    The same is true for l'hospitals method.
  15. Feb 24, 2005 #14
    You need to differentiate f(x) before you set x to a. Remember that the equation is f'(x)|x=a equals the limit, not f(a).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  16. Feb 24, 2005 #15

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's more like:
    [tex] f'(a)=f'(x)|_{x=a} [/tex] and NOT [tex] f'(a)=[f(a)]' (=0) [/tex]

17. Feb 24, 2005 #16
    Yes, of course. Must spend more time composing posts.

18. Feb 24, 2005 #17

So by using this method, taking a difference of cubes on the bottom, the limit as t approaches 1 is [tex] \frac {1}{3} [/tex] which is the same answer as by using L'Hospital's Rule such as that in post #2. I'm sorry in advance for my stupidity but the bottom (which was originally [tex] x^2 [/tex] ) how did it become [tex] t^3-1 [/tex] ?
  19. Feb 24, 2005 #18

i dunno... but can't u just rationalize this limit?

- Tu
  20. Feb 24, 2005 #19
    Solve for x2 in the equation [itex] t = \sqrt[3]{1+x^2} [/itex] and substitute it into the denominator.

21. Feb 25, 2005 #20

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the answer is known anyway:

if [itex]t=\sqrt[3]{x^2+1}[/itex], then [itex]x^2=t^3-1[/itex].

For the derivative method.
    After the substitution [itex]h=x^2[/itex] the limit becomes:
    [tex]\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{\sqrt[3]{1+h}-1}{h}[/tex]

Now the derivative of [itex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex] at the point x=1 is:
    [tex]\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{\sqrt[3]{1+h}-\sqrt[3]{1}}{h}[/tex]
    which is exactly you limit.
    So the limit is equal to the value of the derivative of [itex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex] at the point x=1. The derivative is: [itex]\frac{1}{3\sqrt[3]{x}^{2}}[/itex], so at x=1 it's 1/3.
    (Seeing it as the derivative of [itex]\sqrt[3]{x+1}[/itex] in the point x=0 works too).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?