1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus: Limits

1. Jun 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find f ' (x) if f(x) = 4x + 4 / x2 + 4

2. Relevant equations
    I used the mnemonic "lo dhi - hidlo / (lo)^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got -4x^2 +16-8x / (x^2+4)^2
    but it's telling me I'm wrong? Why? I computed it again but I still got the same answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you're doing calculus, you need to be able to write your expressions correctly. Please put brackets where they are required. It's impossible to know what expressions you are actually dealing with here.

4. Jun 28, 2015 #3
    Sorry!

Problem: find f ' (x) if f(x) = (4x + 4) / (x^2 + 4)

My answer (which was marked wrong by wiley): (-4x^2 + 16 - 8x) / [(x^2 + 4) ^2]

Is that good enough?

5. Jun 28, 2015 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answer looks correct to me.

6. Jun 28, 2015 #5

verty

Homework Helper

At first I got a different answer, it was because I didn't put brackets around the second term. It's quite easy to make that mistake, so I'll bet Wiley wanted the 8x to be positive (which wouldn't be correct).

7. Jun 28, 2015 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Who is this "Wiley" person and how did he or she mark your answer incorrect? If you are using some "mechanical" scoring, those things are notorious for marking wrong anything that is not in exactly the form it wants.

8. Jun 28, 2015 #7

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The quotient rule is quite ugly to use in general (which is what you have used to find the answer).

It is actually much easier to re-write the expression as:

$$f(x) = \frac{4x + 4}{x^2 + 4} = (4x + 4)(x^2 + 4)^{-1}$$

This allows you to take advantage of the product and chain rules, and usually you will be able to find the derivatives of quotients much faster:

$$f(x) = \frac{4x + 4}{x^2 + 4} = (4x + 4)(x^2 + 4)^{-1} = (4)(x^2 + 4)^{-1} - (4x + 4)(x^2 + 4)^{-2}(2x)$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted