Max/Min Calculus Homework: Find Resistance for Max Power

• Thread starter uradnky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the maximum power output in watts for the given equation is achieved when the resistance is 0.8 ohms, as determined by setting the derivative equal to 0 and solving for r. This can also be confirmed by using the first derivative test and plugging in values before and after 0.8 into the derivative to see if it changes from positive to negative.
uradnky

Homework Statement

The electric power in Watts produced is given by p= 144r/(r+.8)^2
where r is the resistance in ohms.
For what value of r is the power P a maximum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the quotient rule i found a derivative of..

dp/dt= 144(-r+.8) / (r + .8)^3

Now I need to set this equal to zero and solve for R?

Multiplying the demonminator by 0 would leave me with just the numerator giving me..
-144r + 115.2 = 0

Solving for r gives me r = 0.8ohms

Was there maybe a problem with my derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
You did it right, find where the derivative is equal to 0 ... [tex]144(.8-r)=0[/tex]

Solve for r which you did! Is that not the correct answer?

Last edited:
Looks right to me. You can always check to see if you've found a local maximum using the first or second derivative tests and plugging it back into the original function.

Test values before and after your max-value: positive to negative should indicate a max-point.

Thanks for confirming it for me. Plugging .8 into the derivative gives me 0 so i guess i was right all along.

Actually, you'd want to plug in something less than 0.8 and more than 0.8 in the derivative to see if it changes from positive to negative in order for 0.8 to be a maximum.

Plot the power function for vallues of r from 0 to 10 using a
computer algebra system like Mathematica and you will verify that
the answer 0.8 for the maximum value looks correct.

jimvoit said:
Plot the power function for vallues of r from 0 to 10 using a
computer algebra system like Mathematica and you will verify that
the answer 0.8 for the maximum value looks correct.
You don't need to do all that! Just do what Snazzy or I suggested. Make good use of your Algebra skills!

Snazzy said:
Actually, you'd want to plug in something less than 0.8 and more than 0.8 in the derivative to see if it changes from positive to negative in order for 0.8 to be a maximum.

Yeah, with 1st derivative test right?
I just figured that it would be ok to assume a maximum because that's what the question asked for, and solving for r only gave me one value.

1. What is Max/Min Calculus?

Max/Min Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the maximum and minimum values of a function. It helps us to optimize a given function and find the most efficient solution.

2. How do I find the resistance for maximum power?

To find the resistance for maximum power, you need to use the derivative of the power function and set it equal to 0. Then, solve for the resistance value that makes the derivative equal to 0. This will give you the resistance value for maximum power.

3. What is the formula for power in Max/Min Calculus?

The formula for power in Max/Min Calculus is P = V^2/R, where P is power, V is voltage, and R is resistance. This formula is used to calculate the power output in a circuit.

4. Why is finding the resistance for maximum power important?

Finding the resistance for maximum power is important because it helps us to optimize the efficiency of a circuit. By finding the resistance value that maximizes power, we can ensure that the circuit is operating at its highest efficiency and producing the most power.

5. Can Max/Min Calculus be applied to other areas besides electrical circuits?

Yes, the principles of Max/Min Calculus can be applied to various fields such as economics, engineering, physics, and more. It is a useful tool for optimization and finding the most efficient solutions in many different situations.