Optimizing Fencing for a One Square Mile Animal Pen

• Thread starter Punkyc7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: If I cross over to the other side of the river, then the radius of the semi-circle would be double. Is that right?sorry, i don't understand :confused:That's correct.
Punkyc7
A farmer can use one mile of a straight river as one border of an animal pen. What is the least amount of fencing needed to enclose a region of one square mile?

I'm guessing it is a semi circular pen. But I am not sure how to show that that is the minimum. I know its smaller than the triangle and the square.

Any advice on how to go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Punkyc7! :smile:

Hint: can you make the problem more symmetric? :wink:

what is more symmetric then a semi circle

exactly! :wink:

Ok so it should be the semi circle.

maybe and maybe not

you're thinking of making the solution more symmetric

i'm suggesting making the problem more symmetric :wink:

hmm... I don't quite follow what you're hinting at.

Punkyc7 said:
A farmer can use one mile of a straight river as one border of an animal pen. What is the least amount of fencing needed to enclose a region of one square mile?

What is asymmetric about the problem?

How would you get rid of the asymmetry? :wink:

This is like one of those I.Q. test questions. :smile:

divide by 2?

Punkyc7 said:
divide by 2?

Divide what by 2?

Since the OP has not responded, I'm going to venture a guess... The least amount of fencing needed is 3 miles? :uhh:

That has nothing to do with the question the OP originally asked or was asked to respond to. What is more symmetric than a semi-circle? A circle.

In order that this be useful however do you know or have you proved that the figure containing a fixed area for the smallest perimeter (without any conditions) is a circle?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is a well know fact. But If I use a whole circle I am adding extra perimeter which is not what I want to do... I can't seem to figure out how I would use calculus to solve this.

HallsofIvy said:
In order that this be useful however do you know or have you proved that the figure containing a fixed area for the smallest perimeter (without any conditions) is a circle?

I've tried to prove this by finding the perimeter of a circle with radius, r, and fixed area (a constant value, say, 4 miles square). Then, tested the same fixed area with square, equilateral triangle and isosceles triangle. The results agree. I guess it's one of those secrets of geometry.

Last edited:
Punkyc7 said:
I think that is a well know fact. But If I use a whole circle I am adding extra perimeter which is not what I want to do... I can't seem to figure out how I would use calculus to solve this.

The replies above seem to suggest finding the perimeter of the circle... and i think i solved the problem. :smile:

Last edited:
so you think 3 is the correct answer?

Punkyc7 said:
so you think 3 is the correct answer?

No. I didn't take into account the fact that the circle has the least perimeter for a fixed area. I originally thought it was a square with one side = 1 mile, along the river. This is how i had (wrongly) calculated the required length of fencing to be the remaining 3 equal sides.

Punkyc7 said:

The asymmetry is the river … the pen is only on one side of it.

Suppose the pen is allowed to be on both sides of the river, and to be two square miles …

how does the answer to that relate to the answer to the original question?​

(i assume this is the way Sharks answered it :wink:)

OK, since the OP apparently gave up (and this question has been gnawing at me), I'm going to suggest my answer: [itex]2\sqrt{\pi}-1[/itex]. Is it correct?

it's a semi-circle

any solution can be reflected in the river, and then has double the area and double the fence, with no river boundary! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
it's a semi-circle

any solution can be reflected in the river, and then has double the area and double the fence, with no river boundary! :wink:

You mean it's a similar semi-circle on each side of the river with diameter 1 mile?

What i thought was: From the area of 1 miles2, i get the radius r, which i then use to find the circumference of the circle. Then, minus 1 (length along river) from that circumference. It makes sense to me. What's wrong with that?

sharks said:
From the area of 1 miles2, i get the radius r, which i then use to find the circumference of the circle. Then, minus 1 (length along river) from that circumference.

sorry, i don't understand :confused:

My way of thinking does not involve crossing over to the other side of the river.
OK, we know the area of the circle is 1 miles2. From that area, i use the formula ∏r2 to get the radius of the circle, which is [itex]1/\sqrt{\pi}[/itex].
Then, using the formula for finding the circumference of the circle: [itex]2\pi (1/\sqrt{\pi})=2\sqrt{\pi}[/itex]. Now, if i consider a circle with that fixed area, and suppose its circumference is flexible, like a thin string border, and i align it with the river bank for a distance of 1 mile. The remaining length of the circle stays free, and although it won't be a circle anymore, it will still have a circular shape, which has length: [itex](2\sqrt{\pi}-1)[/itex] miles.

sharks said:
Now, if i consider a circle with that fixed area, and suppose its circumference is flexible, like a thin string border, and i align it with the river bank for a distance of 1 mile. The remaining length of the circle stays free, and although it won't be a circle anymore, it will still have a circular shape …

i don't understand :confused:

I realize now that my method is flawed. Since the shape of the circle changes, despite keeping a fixed circumference, the area also decreases. So, your method is indeed the only correct one. :redface:

1. What is a "Calculus Maximizing Problem"?

A "Calculus Maximizing Problem" is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum value of a function. It is typically solved using calculus techniques such as finding the derivative and setting it equal to zero to find critical points.

2. What are some real-life applications of "Calculus Maximizing Problems"?

"Calculus Maximizing Problems" have many real-life applications, such as finding the maximum profit for a business, determining the optimal production level for a factory, or finding the maximum area that can be enclosed with a given amount of fencing.

3. How do you know if a critical point is a maximum or a minimum?

A critical point is a point on the graph of a function where the derivative is equal to zero. To determine if it is a maximum or a minimum, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a minimum, and if it is negative, the critical point is a maximum.

4. Can "Calculus Maximizing Problems" be solved without using calculus?

Yes, "Calculus Maximizing Problems" can sometimes be solved without using calculus techniques. For simple functions, you can graph the function and visually determine the maximum value. Additionally, some problems can be solved using algebraic techniques such as completing the square.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Calculus Maximizing Problems"?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Calculus Maximizing Problems" include forgetting to check the endpoints of the interval, not considering all critical points, and incorrectly setting up the optimization equation. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and to double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.