Help Solving Calculus/Mechanics Question on Particle in Gravity Field

In summary, the conversation revolves around a calculus problem involving a particle with constant mass and position vector. The goal is to show that the particle's displacement from the origin is equal to zero at a specific time, and the conversation discusses different strategies and confusions surrounding the problem.
zebrastripes
I'm really struggling to get my head around some of the mechanics applications in my calculus module and would really appreciate it if somebody could help me get my head around it.

I have this question:

A particle P of constant mass m has a position vector:

r=x(t)i+y(t)j,

and moves in a uniform gravitational field -gj. At time t=0, P is at the origin of the coordinate system and is projected with speed U at an angle 0≤θ≤∏ to the vector i.

We are given that r''=-gj.
Hence show that y=0 at a time t=τ>0 where τ=2Usinθ/g.

So, I have that y''(t)=-g,
so y'(t)=-gt+c and from the initial conditions, r'(t)=U

Now, I guess that the constant c=Usinθ because that will give me t=2Usinθ/g when y=0, but I have no idea why? :confused:

I think the notation if the position vector is confusing me, and I just can't seem to figure out how to get the equation for r from r''=-gj, which i need for the second part of the question which is to find the displacement of the particle from the origin of the coordinate system. :redface: :frown:

Any pointers would be great!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

This is hardly calculus. The position vector of the particle is [itex](0+U\cos \theta * t)\vec{i} + (0+U\sin \theta * t - \frac{g*t^2}{2})\vec{j}[/itex]. That's a parabola. You just need to find its roots.

1. What is the equation for calculating the position of a particle in a gravity field?

The equation for calculating the position of a particle in a gravity field is given by x(t) = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of a particle in a gravity field?

The velocity of a particle in a gravity field can be calculated using the equation v(t) = v0 + at, where v0 is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in a gravity field?

Velocity refers to the speed and direction of a particle, while acceleration refers to the rate of change of velocity. In a gravity field, the velocity of a particle changes due to the acceleration of gravity.

4. How does the mass of a particle affect its motion in a gravity field?

The mass of a particle does not affect its motion in a gravity field, as all objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity regardless of their mass. This is known as the principle of equivalence.

5. Can the equations for motion in a gravity field be used for objects other than particles?

Yes, the equations for motion in a gravity field can be used for any object that experiences a constant acceleration due to gravity, such as a falling rock or a satellite orbiting a planet.