Calculus of Variation: "Help Me Understand a Step!

The integration by parts rule states that for two functions f and g, the integral of f times the derivative of g is equal to f times g evaluated at the limits of integration minus the integral of g times the derivative of f. In this case, f is u_i and g is \delta x^i. Therefore, applying the rule, we get:\int_a^b u_i \frac{d (\delta x^i)}{ds} ds = u_i \delta x^i|^b_a - \int_a^b \delta x^i \frac{du_i}{ds} dsUsing the fundamental theorem of calculus, we can rewrite the first term as:u_i \delta x^i|^b_a
Gavroy
hey

I do not understand a step here!

The integral is:

[tex]\delta S(x,t)=-mc \int_a^b u_i d \delta x^i =0[/tex]

and now they say one should do integration by parts, but I do not know how this should work here?

Where are my two functions?As far as I see there is only the four-velocity and I do not how it depends on the differential so I wanted to ask you whether one of you could explain this step to me.

The result should be:

[tex]\delta S(x,t)=-mc u_i \delta x^i |^b_a + mc\int_a^b \delta x^i \frac{du_i}{ds} ds[/tex]

I have not a clue what happened there! Can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably clearer if you write the original integral in longhand:

[tex]
\int_a^b u_i \frac{d (\delta x^i)}{ds} ds
[/tex]

The two functions are [tex]u_i[/tex] and [tex] \delta x^i[/tex].

What is calculus of variation?

Calculus of variation is a mathematical theory that deals with finding the optimal function or curve for a given problem. It involves finding an extremum for a functional, which is a mathematical expression involving a function and its derivatives.

What is the purpose of calculus of variation?

The purpose of calculus of variation is to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity. This can be applied to real-world problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields to find the most efficient or optimal solution.

What is a functional?

A functional is a mathematical expression that involves a function and its derivatives. It describes a relationship between a set of functions and a real-valued output. In calculus of variation, the goal is to find the function that minimizes or maximizes the functional.

What is a variational problem?

A variational problem is a problem that involves finding an extremum for a functional. This can be a minimum or maximum value, depending on the problem. The solution to a variational problem is the function that minimizes or maximizes the functional.

What are some applications of calculus of variation?

Calculus of variation has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and optimization problems. Some examples include finding the path of a light ray that takes the shortest time to travel between two points, determining the shape of a hanging cable, and finding the most efficient route for a traveling salesman.