Deriving the Shortest Path in Radial Co-ordinates Using Variational Principle

In summary, the equation you should obtain from varying the path length is:\frac{d}{d\theta}\left(\frac{r'}{f}\right) = \frac{r}{f},where f(r,r') = \sqrt{r^2 + r'^2} .
No Name Required
I have this question,

Express the length of a given curve [tex]r = r(\theta)[/tex] in radial co-ordinates. Using the Variational principle derive the shortest path between two points is a line.

Ive drawn a picture with two angles (measured from the x-axis) [tex]\theta_1[/tex] and [tex]\theta_2[/tex] so that [tex]r(\theta_1) = r_1[/tex] and [tex]r(\theta_2) = r_2[/tex].

I found the legth of the infinitesimal [tex]dl[/tex] to be

[tex]dl = \sqrt{r'^2 + r^2} \; d\theta[/tex] so that

[tex]\displaystyle{L = \int^{\theta_2}_{\theta_1} \sqrt{r'^2 + r^2} \; d\theta}[/tex]

So my functional is [tex]f = \sqrt{r'^2 + r^2}[/tex]

I have calculated [tex]\displaystyle{\frac{\partial f}{\partial r} = \frac{r}{\sqrt{r^2 + r'^2}}}[/tex] and [tex]\displaystyle{\frac{\partiall f}{\partial r'} = \frac{r'}{\sqrt{r^2 + r'^2}}}[/tex]

Also [tex]\displaystyle{\frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta} = 0}[/tex]

I have tried setting up

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{d}{d\theta} \frac{\partial f}{\partial r'} - \frac{\partial f}{\partial r} = 0}[/tex] but this is leading to a nasty nonlinear second order differential equation which i presume is not correct.

I know that [tex]\theta[/tex] is cyclic so a conservation law exists but I am not sure how to go about using this.

If someone could give me a plan of how to do the next couple of steps it would be great.

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the equation you should obtain from varying the path length is
[tex]
\frac{d}{d\theta}\left(\frac{r'}{f}\right) = \frac{r}{f},
[/tex]
where [tex] f(r,r') = \sqrt{r^2 + r'^2} [/tex]. First, let me note that a circle ([tex] r [/tex] constant) does not satisfy this equation. You should expect this since the arc of a circle is not the shortest distance between two points. Second, you should probably write out the equation for a line in polar coordinates. It is kind of messy in general, but you could pick a representative type of line and show that it solves the equation. Once you know this, you can always rotate your coordinates to show that all other lines satisfy the differential equation too.

I worked it out myself so it can be definitely be done. Let me know if you have any more trouble.

Last edited:
In cartesian coordinates you have:
[tex]\int{\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}dx}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} - \frac{d}{dx}\displaystyle{(}\frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{y}}\displaystyle{)} = 0[/tex]
... thus:
[tex]f = \sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = 0; \frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{y}} = \frac{\dot{y}}{\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\displaystyle{[}\frac{\dot{y}}{\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}}\displaystyle{]} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\ddot{y}}{\sqrt{1 + \dot{y}^2}^3} = 0[/tex]
... thus:
[tex]\ddot{y} = 0[/tex]
... and:
[tex]y = ax + b[/tex]

Last edited:
Thankyou very much for your time and thoughts. I have solved the problem in polar co ordinates and if anyone is particularly interested i will write it up for them. I will check back tomorrow.

What is Calculus of Variations?

Calculus of Variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal value of a functional, which is a function of a function.

What are the applications of Calculus of Variations?

Calculus of Variations has many applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It is used to optimize functions, find minimal surfaces, and solve problems involving optimization of systems.

What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental tool in Calculus of Variations. It is a second-order differential equation that is used to find the maximum or minimum value of a functional.

How is Calculus of Variations related to ordinary calculus?

Calculus of Variations is an extension of ordinary calculus. While ordinary calculus deals with functions of one variable, Calculus of Variations deals with functions of multiple variables. It also involves finding the optimal value of a functional, rather than just a single value as in ordinary calculus.

What is the principle of least action?

The principle of least action is a fundamental principle in physics that is derived from Calculus of Variations. It states that a physical system will follow the path that minimizes the action, which is a functional that describes the system's motion. This principle is used to derive the equations of motion in classical mechanics and other physical theories.