1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus of Variations

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Optimize the following cost integral

[tex] x(1)^2 + \displaystyle \int_0^1 (x^2 + \dot{x}^2) dx [/tex]

subject to x(0) =1, x(1) is free

2. Relevant equations

Now our prof showed us a method of doing this. In general, if we want to minimize

[tex] f(b,x(b)) + \displaystyle \int_a^b L(t,x,\dot{x}) dx [/tex]
    where x(b) is free, then we can change the problem to minimizing
    [tex] \displaystyle \int_a^b L(t,x,\dot{x}) + \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} + \sum_i \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i} \dot{x}_i dx [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Now we he goes through the example above, he changes the Lagrangian to

[tex] \displaystyle \int_0^1 \left[ 2x\dot{x} + (x^2 + \dot{x}^2) \right] dx [/tex]

My problem is that I don't see where [itex] 2x\dot{x} [/itex] comes from. The only way this conforms to the above equation is if f has the form of the original Lagrangian. At least in this case, I figure that [itex] f(t,x(t)) = x(t) [/itex] in which case

[tex] \displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} + \sum_i \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i} \dot{x}_i = \dot{x} + \dot{x} = 2\dot{x} [/tex]

which varies from what he got by the factor of x
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2
    If nothing else, can someone please confirm that if [itex] f(t,x(t)) = x(t) [/itex] then

[tex] \displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} + \sum_i \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i} \dot{x}_i = \dot{x} + \dot{x} = 2\dot{x} [/tex]
  4. Oct 9, 2008 #3
    Nevermind, everything has been figured out. I knew it looked weird that I was getting a coefficient of 2. It turns out I didn't notice the fact that x(1) was actually x(1)², so no worries.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?