Calculus on manifolds - limit of an integral

In summary, the conversation is about proving a pointwise limit exists for a function using the implicit function theorem and the fundamental theorem of calculus of variations. The integral formulation given in the problem is incorrect and the correct approach involves extending the implicit function theorem and using partial derivatives.
meiji1

Homework Statement

Let [tex]\phi \in C^{\infty}_{0}(\mathbb{R}^2)[/tex] and [tex]f: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}[/tex] a smooth, non-negative function. For [tex]c > 0[/tex], let [tex] < F_c, \phi > := \int_{\{f(x,y) \le c\}} \phi(x,y)\mbox{dx dy} [/tex]. Supposing the gradient of [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex] is nonzero everywhere on [tex] M = \{(x,y) : f(x,y) = c \} [/tex], prove that the pointwise limit [tex] lim_{\epsilon \to 0^+} \frac{<F_{c+\epsilon},\phi> - <F_c,\phi>}{\epsilon} [/tex] exists for every [tex]\phi \in C^{\infty}_{0}(\mathbb{R}^2)[/tex].

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know nothing about calculus on manifolds, which I'm sure would help here. The exercise is given in the context of distribution theory.

I get that the idea is to use the implicit function theorem within [tex]\frac{F_{c+\epsilon} - F_c}{\epsilon} = \int_{c < f(x,y) \le c+\epsilon} \frac{\phi(x,y)}{\epsilon}\mbox{dy dx}[/tex], somehow. This poses two major problems I can't get past: first, I need to resolve the epsilon in the denominator of the integrand, I would suspect through a substitution of the form [tex]y' = \epsilon y[/tex] (or analogously with x, of course).

Second, I can't see how to extend the implicit function theorem to the set [tex]M_\epsilon = \{(x,y): c \le f(x,y) \le c+\epsilon\}[/tex]. The implicit function [tex]g(y)[/tex] given by the theorem is defined and differentiable on some ambiguous open neighborhood of a point [tex](x,y) \in M[/tex] only, with [tex]f(g(y),y) = c[/tex] in that neighborhood; it's not clear how to extend g past M to obtain [tex]f(g(y),y) = f(x,y)[/tex] for all points [tex](x,y) \in M_\epsilon[/tex], if that's the proper approach.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: I found the answer: the integral formulation is incorrect, and this is an application of the fundamental theorem of calculus of variations. The limit is \int_{M} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \phi\mbox{dy dx}.

1. What is the definition of a limit of an integral on a manifold?

The limit of an integral on a manifold is a mathematical concept that represents the value that an integral approaches as the size of the region being integrated over becomes smaller and smaller. It is a fundamental concept in calculus on manifolds and is used to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities on curved surfaces.

2. How is the limit of an integral on a manifold different from a traditional integral?

The limit of an integral on a manifold is different from a traditional integral in that it is calculated over a region on a curved surface rather than a flat plane. This requires the use of advanced mathematical techniques such as differential forms and multivariable calculus.

3. What are some common applications of the limit of an integral on a manifold?

The limit of an integral on a manifold has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and geometry. It is used to calculate quantities such as surface area, volume, and mass on curved surfaces, as well as in the study of fluid dynamics and electromagnetic fields.

4. What are some challenges in calculating the limit of an integral on a manifold?

One of the main challenges in calculating the limit of an integral on a manifold is dealing with the non-Euclidean geometry of curved surfaces. This requires a deep understanding of differential geometry and the ability to work with abstract mathematical concepts such as tangent spaces and Riemannian metrics.

5. How is the limit of an integral on a manifold related to other concepts in mathematics?

The limit of an integral on a manifold is closely related to other important concepts in mathematics, such as the gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field. These concepts are used to calculate the limit of an integral on a manifold and are essential in many areas of mathematics and physics.