Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Online

1. Sep 9, 2005 #1

I'm currently taking Pre-Calculus, and would like to take Calculus I completely online once I complete Pre-Calc. Does anyone here know of any accredited online calculus courses? My college doesn't offer Calc I over the winter break, and I'm not having much luck finding any colleges / universities in state which offer it online or on campus during the winter. My purpose for wanting to take Calc I over the winter is so I can take Calc II in the Spring.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I personally would not be at all happy with the idea of taking Calculus I "online". It is very easy (and unfortunately done by some "cookbook" courses) to treat Calculus I as more computations of the kind you see in algebra and precalculus courses. The precise reasoning and new definitions- limits, the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed and how one defines "instantaneous speed"- are a whole new kind of concept, the reason why calculus started a revolution in mathematics and science. I would be very worried that a person doing Calculus I on his own would miss that.
  4. Sep 9, 2005 #3
  5. Sep 9, 2005 #4

This link will get you to Florida's Distance Learning site where you will find several online Calculus classes.

BTW...this linkhttp://www.distancelearn.org/mainPage.cfm is for their entire online course search. It is the most comprehensive I have found.
    I have taken 15 hrs of online classes. It is NOT easy, but it IS possible.
    Good luck to you,
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?