How can I generalize the result for the n=2 case to a larger set of numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the fraction (a+c)/(b+d) stays between the minimum and maximum elements of (a/b) and (c/d) in an ordered set K, given that b and d are positive. It is then generalized to a case where there are multiple elements in the set. The conversation discusses using proof by induction to show this and suggests a different approach to generalize the case with two elements.
maquina

Homework Statement

a,b,c,d in a ordered set K and b and d>0
Show that [tex]\frac{a+c}{b+d}[/tex] stay between the minimum and max from [tex]\frac {a}{b}[/tex] and [tex]\frac {c}{d}[/tex]. Generalize for [tex]a_1,\hdots,a_n,b_1,\hdots,b_n \in K[/tex] with [tex]b_1\hdots,b_n >0[/tex] so [tex]\frac{a_1+\hdots+a_n}{b_1+\hdots+b_n}[/tex] is between the max and min elements from [tex]\frac{a_1}{b_1},\hdots,\frac{a_n}{b_n}[/tex]

I could do it for the the first case but in a way it's impossible to generalize
any ideas?
tks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

to correct, it`s a ordered field

if u consider a/b<c/d
u can do a/b - (a+c)/(b+d)}=(ad-bc)/(b(b+d))>0
and c/d - (a+c)/(b+d)}=(bc-ad)/(b(b+d))>0
and done

but them using samething for generalizing i couldn't make it :(

Last edited:
Looks like proof by induction would work.

Let's redo the n=2 case in a way it will be easier to generalize. Write (a1+a2)/(b1+b2)=(b1/(b1+b2))*(a1/b1)+(b2/(b1+b2))*(a2/b2). Notice that the bi/(b1+b2) terms are positive and sum to 1. (This means (a1+a2)/(b1+b2) is in the 'convex hull' of the bi/ai.) If I replace the ai/bi by their minimum and maximum, what do I conclude?

What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change. It involves the analysis of functions and their rates of change, as well as the calculation of derivatives and integrals.

What is an ordered set?

An ordered set is a collection of elements that are arranged in a specific order. This order is determined by a relation, often denoted by the symbol "<=" or "<", that defines which elements come before or after others in the set.

What are the two main branches of Calculus?

The two main branches of Calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change, while integral calculus focuses on the calculation of areas and volumes.

What are the applications of Calculus?

Calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is used in physics to describe the motion of objects, in economics to model supply and demand, in biology to analyze population growth, and in engineering to optimize designs and processes.

What are some common misconceptions about Calculus?

One common misconception about Calculus is that it is a difficult subject that is only useful for those pursuing careers in mathematics or science. However, Calculus has many practical applications and can be used to solve real-world problems. Another misconception is that Calculus is only for "geniuses", but with dedication and practice, anyone can understand and apply its concepts.