1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus problem (related rates) regarding change in temperature and change in speed.

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On February 16, 2007, paraglider Eva Wisnierska was caught in a freak thunderstorm over
    Australia and carried upward at a speed of about 3000 ft/min. The table below gives the
    temperature at various heights. Approximately how fast (in ◦F/min) was her ambient
    temperature decreasing when she was at 4000 feet?
    image.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well here's where I've gotten.

I am not sure, but this problem looks like some sort of related rates problem. We known dy/dt is 3000 ft/min, but we need in deg F/min, so what I did is a simple slope calculation for the point 4000 ft by doing

(60-52)/(2-4) and getting -4 deg F/1000 ft

From here, i'm not exactly sure how to manipulate and get the rate that we need. Am I on the right track? What's next?

Thanks so much!

-Pat

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Calculus problem (related rates) regarding change in temperature and change in sp

I would use the two alt., temp. points on either side. Between 2000' and 4000' the temperature dropped 8 deg F., but between 4000' and 6000', the temperature drop was quite a bit more. You would get a better estimate by using the two surrounding points in your data.

I disagree that this is a related rates problem. As I see it, it's a problem about estimating the slope of a curve from a set of data.

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    Re: Calculus problem (related rates) regarding change in temperature and change in sp

Oh, I see. So on that case, in order to get a more accurate method, i'd calculate the slope between the two surrounding points which gets us -5.5 deg f/1000 ft.

Now, they want the units in in deg F/min. Since she's carried upward at 3000 ft/min and the temperature is decreasing at -5.5 deg f/1000 ft, then

(3000 ft/min)(-5.5 deg f/1000ft)= 3 x -5.5 /min = 36 x -5.5 = -198 in deg F/min ?

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, I don't think so. Her vertical speed is 3000 ft/min. She rose from 2000' to 6000' in 4000/3000 minutes, or 4/3 minute, during which time the temperature dropped 22 deg. F. That's NOT going to be a drop of 198 deg F per minute.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook