Solving Calculus and Equation Problems

• Thread starter pyromancer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions: finding the value of an integral and the number of positive integral solutions to an equation. In solving the first question, the hint given was to factor out 1/a^2 and to substitute for dx as well. The conversation also clarifies that sec^{12} is incorrect and suggests trying again. For the second question, it is advised to use the same method and take into account the repeated factor when calculating permutations.
pyromancer

Homework Statement

Question 1 :Find the value of [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}[/tex][tex]\stackrel{dx}{a^{2} + x^{2}}[/tex]

Question 2 : Find the number of positive integral solutions of the equation :

[tex]x_{1}[/tex][tex]x_{2}[/tex][tex]x_{3}[/tex][tex]x_{4}[/tex][tex]x_{5}[/tex] = 1050

Homework Equations

Well I do not know any relevant equations. :redface:

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I tried the first question by substituting x with a(tan(y)) then I got sec[tex]^{12}[/tex] but then I don't know what to do. The second question has me stumped totally. I tried finding the factors of 1050 and then finding the permutations of the factors to get the answer but did not get it :confused:.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Q1: hint: factor out [tex]\frac{1}{a^2}[/tex]
Q2: Try again with the same method, i think it should work, it just takes time.

pyromancer said:
Well I tried the first question by substituting x with a(tan(y)) then I got sec[tex]^{12}[/tex]

No … did you mean sec[tex]^{2}[/tex] or sec[tex]^{-2}[/tex]? … anyway, either is wrong … do it again … you must substitute for dx also.

dx = … ? :smile:

Question 2 : Find the number of positive integral solutions of the equation :

[tex]x_{1}[/tex][tex]x_{2}[/tex][tex]x_{3}[/tex][tex]x_{4}[/tex][tex]x_{5}[/tex] = 1050

This isn't calculus, is it? :confused:

What did you get as the prime factors of 1050?

Show us where you went from there … :smile:

Q1) You don't really even need to find the anti-derivative here. Look at your bounds of integration, how does your integrand behave...?

Q2) Just do what everyone else said. Perhaps the trouble with the calculation of the permutations comes from the repeated factor? Make sure you take that into account.

1. What is the difference between differential and integral calculus?

Differential calculus focuses on finding the rate of change of a function, while integral calculus deals with finding the accumulation or total of a function. In other words, differential calculus is used to calculate instantaneous changes, while integral calculus is used to find the total change over a given interval.

2. How do I solve a calculus problem step by step?

To solve a calculus problem, you first need to identify the type of problem (e.g. finding derivatives or integrals), then use the appropriate formulas and techniques to simplify the problem. This may involve taking derivatives, using the power rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, or using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to also check your work and make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus problems include forgetting to use the chain rule, making algebraic errors, not simplifying expressions, and not checking your work. It is important to pay attention to details and always double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

4. How do I know which calculus technique to use for a specific problem?

The technique you should use for a specific calculus problem depends on the type of problem and the given information. It is important to carefully read the problem and determine if it requires finding derivatives or integrals, and then choose the appropriate formula or technique to solve it. Practice and experience will also help you become more familiar with which techniques to use for different types of problems.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculus and equation problems?

Calculus and equation problems are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They can be used to model and analyze real-life situations such as motion, population growth, optimization problems, and electrical circuits. Calculus is also essential for understanding concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and slope, which are important in many fields.