1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus problem

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    Suppose that
    [tex]
    \alpha_1,...,\alpha_n
    [/tex]
    are positive numbers. Show that
    [tex]
    \int_{1}^{\infty}...\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{dx_1...dx_n}{{x_1}^{\alpha_1}+...+{x_n}^{\alpha_n}}<\infty
    [/tex]
    if
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{\alpha_1}+...+\frac{1}{\alpha_n}<1
    [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2009 #2
    Hi. I've been thinking about this one, but I cant solve it. Where did you get this problem?

4. Jun 18, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would try breaking this down into smaller, easier problems. What do you get for this integral?
    [tex]
    \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{dx_1}{{x_1}^{\alpha_1}+...+{x_n}^{\alpha_n}}
    [/tex]

Note that this is an improper integral, so the limits will need to be 1 and, say, b, and you'll need to take the limit as b -> [itex]\infty[/itex].

For the integral to converge, are there any restrictions on [itex]\alpha_1[/itex]?

Then work with the double integral, with [itex]dx_1[/itex] and [itex]dx_2[/itex]. For this integral to converge, what restrictions must be placed on [itex]\alpha_1[/itex] and [itex]\alpha_2[/itex]?

That's how I would tackle this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook