1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Problem.

1. Oct 8, 2004 #1
    The volume of a 10-ounce box of Cheerios is 182.743 cubic inches. The width of the box is 3.1875 inches less then the length, and its depth is 2.31245 inches. Find the length and width of teh box to the thouandanths.

A: I've looked at this problem for a couple of hours, and hunted through my textbook for an equal amount of time, searching for the right formula and how to do it. However, I have been unable to solve this problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you set up an equation for the volume of the box?
  4. Oct 8, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you set the equation up correctly using all the known info (what's the formula for finding the volume of a box), you should wind up with a quadratic equation.
  5. Oct 9, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You should know that the Volume of a rectangular solid is "length times width times depth". Call the length "l" and then use a "The width of the box is 3.1875 inches less then the length" to write the width as expression in l. You are told that the volume is 182.743 and the depth is 2.31245 so you have one equation in the one unknown l.

This is basic geometry and algebra. Why in the world is it called a "Calculus" problem?
  6. Oct 9, 2004 #5

Homework Helper

It's probably preparation for extrema problems.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?