1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus problem

1. Oct 11, 2004 #1
    I have this calculus challenge problem (found here: http://firstyr.appsci.queensu.ca/apsc171/chall1.pdf)

I was able to answer part a and b, however I am unsure how to approach c and onwards

does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it not just a matter or letting in your equation: [itex]\varepsilon = \varepsilon + \Delta \varepsilon[/tex]

So you have:

[tex]V(x) = x^4 - 4x^3 + (\varepsilon + \Delta \varepsilon)x^2 + \delta x + 5[/tex]

Differentiating the above with respect to x, knowing that [itex]\delta x = 0[/itex] then equalising to 0 and solving for x and rearranging for [itex]\Delta \varepsilon[/itex]? Not entirely sure what the question is asking so not sure.

Although thinking about it you would probably have to show which V'(x) = 0 is the minimum.
  4. Oct 11, 2004 #3
    any other suggestions people?
    I still seem to be having trouble
  5. Oct 12, 2004 #4
    What is your trouble ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?