Calculus problems (hmmt)

• Thread starter fayeshin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the polynomial 3x5-250x3+735x has the maximum possible number of relative extrema and points of inflection at integer lattice points for a quintic polynomial. The sum of the x-coordinates of these points is 0. The HMMT solution calculates the sum of x2 where x is a zero of the polynomial, resulting in a sum of 50 and 25. The reason for this discrepancy may be due to the presence of both positive and negative x-coordinates.
fayeshin
The question is :"The polynomial 3x5-250x3+735x is interesting because it has the maximum possible number of relative extrema and points of inflection at integer lattice points for a quintic polynomial. What is the sum of the x-coordinates of these points?"

I think the answer is 0, but it's wrong.

My solution is :"The first derivative is 15x4-750x2+735, whose roots are -7,-1,1 and 7. The second derivative is 60x3-1500x,whose roots are 0,-5,5. Then, the sum is 0."

The HMMT solution is "The first derivative is 15x4-750x2+735, whose roots sum to 750/15=50. The second derivative is 60x3-1500x,whose roots sum to 1500/60=25, for a grand total of 75."

I really can't understand how it get the sum 50 and 25...Please help me.

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing I can say is that they appear to be talking about the sum of x2 where x is a zero of the polynomial:
[tex]15x^4-750x^2+735= 15(x^2- 1)(x^2- 49)[/tex]
so x2= 1 and 49 which add to 50 and
[tex]60x3-1500x= 60 x(x^2- 25)[/tex]
so x2= 0 and 25 which add to 25.

HallsofIvy said:
The only thing I can say is that they appear to be talking about the sum of x2 where x is a zero of the polynomial:
[tex]15x^4-750x^2+735= 15(x^2- 1)(x^2- 49)[/tex]
so x2= 1 and 49 which add to 50 and
[tex]60x3-1500x= 60 x(x^2- 25)[/tex]
so x2= 0 and 25 which add to 25.

i think so...
but since we have +7 and -7 and so on...why isn't it 150?

thank you all the way...

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It is used to study and analyze the rates of change of quantities and the accumulation of small quantities to determine larger quantities.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides us with a powerful set of tools to analyze and understand the physical world. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to make predictions and solve real-world problems.

3. What are the two main branches of Calculus?

The two main branches of Calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes, while integral calculus deals with the study of areas and volumes.

4. What are some common applications of Calculus?

Calculus has many applications in various fields, such as physics (kinematics, force, and motion), engineering (optimization, mechanics, and electrical circuits), economics (marginal analysis and optimization), and statistics (probability and data analysis).

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Calculus problems?

To improve your skills in solving Calculus problems, it is important to understand the concepts and principles behind the formulas and techniques. Practice regularly and work through various types of problems to gain a deeper understanding. Seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed, and use online resources and practice problems to supplement your learning.