How Do I Solve These Calculus Problems?

• Thread starter Nimmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: So the solution to the first integral is \int\frac{sin x}{1-sin x}dx= -\int\frac{1-sin x}{1-sin x}dx= -\int dx=-x+C. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the steps for solving four different integrals, with the last two being more difficult and needing special techniques. The first two integrals involve using u-substitution, while the third involves using the substitution u = e^x. The fourth integral requires integrating by parts. The last two integrals are not solved in detail, but hints are given for how to approach them.
Nimmy
Can someone show me the steps on finding:

Note i don't have the answer for the last two questions. I am so confused help

1. ∫1/cscx-1

It says the answer is:

_________ - x
cot (x/2)-1

2. ∫1/(1-sin x)
It says the answer is:

_________
cot (x/2)-1

3. ∫1/(1-e^-x)

4. ∫cos x ln x

Physics news on Phys.org
Nimmy said:
Can someone show me the steps on finding:
Yes, we can help you, but we won't show you the step-by-step solution! https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=28
Nimmy said:
Note i don't have the answer for the last two questions. I am so confused help

1. ∫1/cscx-1

It says the answer is:

_________ - x
cot (x/2)-1
You should note that:
∫1/cscx-1 is not the same as ∫dx/(cscx-1).
When seeing these kinds of integrals (i.e: trig integral), generally, what you should do is to use u-substitution (u = tan(x / 2)).
Let [tex]u = \tan \left( \frac{x}{2} \right) \Rightarrow du = \frac{dx}{2 \cos ^ 2 \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)} = \frac{dx (1 + u ^ 2)}{2} \Rightarrow dx = \frac{2du}{1 + u ^ 2}[/tex]
You'll also have:
[tex]\sin x = \frac{2u}{1 + u ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\csc x - 1} = \int \frac{\sin x \ dx}{1 - \sin x} = \int -\frac{-\sin x \ dx}{1 - \sin x} = \int -\frac{1 - \sin x - 1 \ dx}{1 - \sin x}[/tex]
[tex]= -\int dx + \int \frac{dx}{1 - \sin x} = -\int dx + \int \frac{2du}{(1 + u ^ 2) \left( 1 - \frac{2u}{1 + u ^ 2} \right)} = -\int dx + \int \frac{2du}{(1 + u ^ 2) \left( 1 - \frac{2u}{1 + u ^ 2} \right)}[/tex].
Can you go from here?
Nimmy said:
2. ∫1/(1-sin x)
It says the answer is:

_________
cot (x/2)-1
It can be done exactly the same as the first one.
Nimmy said:
3. ∫1/(1-e^-x)
To do some kinds of integrals like this, you can use the substitution u = ex.
Nimmy said:
4. ∫cos x ln x
This can be done by integrating by parts. Looking closely at that, what should be u, and what should dv?
You should note that:
[tex]\int \frac{\sin x}{x} dx = \mbox{si} (x) + C[/tex].
Can you go from here?
-------------------
If you get stuck somewhere, just should it out.

Last edited:
Strictly speaking [itex]\int1/csc x- 1[/itex] means [itex]\int\frac{1}{csc x}-1 dx[/itex] which is the same as [itex]\int sin(x)-1 dx[/itex] which is easy. I think you meant [itex]\int\frac{1}{csc x- 1}dx[/itex].
That is the same as [itex]\int\frac{sin x}{1- sin x}dx[/itex]

1. What is Calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and motion. It is important because it provides the tools and techniques for analyzing and understanding complex systems and phenomena, and is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

2. What are the two main branches of Calculus?

The two main branches of Calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the rates of change of a function, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of these changes over a given interval.

3. What are some common applications of Calculus?

Calculus has many real-world applications, such as finding maximum and minimum values, calculating slopes and areas, modeling complex systems, and solving optimization problems. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

4. What are some common types of Calculus problems?

Some common types of Calculus problems include finding derivatives and integrals of functions, solving optimization problems, finding rates of change, and solving related rates problems. These problems can involve various techniques and concepts, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in solving Calculus problems?

To improve your understanding and skills in solving Calculus problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the concepts and techniques involved. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems, and to seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.