1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Problems part I

1. Jan 11, 2006 #1
    Can someone show me the steps on finding:

Note i dont have the answer for the last two questions. Im so confused help :surprised

1. ∫1/cscx-1

It says the answer is:

_________ - x
    cot (x/2)-1

2. ∫1/(1-sin x)
    It says the answer is:

cot (x/2)-1

3. ∫1/(1-e^-x)

4. ∫cos x ln x
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Yes, we can help you, but we won't show you the step-by-step solution!!! Read here!
    You should note that:
    ∫1/cscx-1 is not the same as ∫dx/(cscx-1).
    When seeing these kinds of integrals (i.e: trig integral), generally, what you should do is to use u-substitution (u = tan(x / 2)).
    Let [tex]u = \tan \left( \frac{x}{2} \right) \Rightarrow du = \frac{dx}{2 \cos ^ 2 \left( \frac{x}{2} \right)} = \frac{dx (1 + u ^ 2)}{2} \Rightarrow dx = \frac{2du}{1 + u ^ 2}[/tex]
    You'll also have:
    [tex]\sin x = \frac{2u}{1 + u ^ 2}[/tex]
    [tex]\int \frac{dx}{\csc x - 1} = \int \frac{\sin x \ dx}{1 - \sin x} = \int -\frac{-\sin x \ dx}{1 - \sin x} = \int -\frac{1 - \sin x - 1 \ dx}{1 - \sin x}[/tex]
    [tex]= -\int dx + \int \frac{dx}{1 - \sin x} = -\int dx + \int \frac{2du}{(1 + u ^ 2) \left( 1 - \frac{2u}{1 + u ^ 2} \right)} = -\int dx + \int \frac{2du}{(1 + u ^ 2) \left( 1 - \frac{2u}{1 + u ^ 2} \right)}[/tex].
    Can you go from here?
    It can be done exactly the same as the first one.
    To do some kinds of integrals like this, you can use the substitution u = ex.
    This can be done by integrating by parts. Looking closely at that, what should be u, and what should dv?
    You should note that:
    [tex]\int \frac{\sin x}{x} dx = \mbox{si} (x) + C[/tex].
    Can you go from here?
    If you get stuck somewhere, just should it out.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  4. Jan 12, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Strictly speaking [itex]\int1/csc x- 1[/itex] means [itex]\int\frac{1}{csc x}-1 dx[/itex] which is the same as [itex]\int sin(x)-1 dx[/itex] which is easy. I think you meant [itex]\int\frac{1}{csc x- 1}dx[/itex].
    That is the same as [itex]\int\frac{sin x}{1- sin x}dx[/itex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?