1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus programs?

1. May 20, 2009 #1
    hey guys, i was wondering if anyone know anygood program that you can type in a function and it gives a worked solution to get the deravtive/integral. thanks for any replies.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. May 20, 2009 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like you're trying to get a computer to do your homework for you. There are many computer programs and packages can be used to perform mathematical computations (Mathematica, MATLAB, MathCAD, octave, Maxima, SciPy), but you're much better off just learning to do your problems by hand.

- Warren

5. May 21, 2009 #4
    na im trying, ive got problems with answers, but keep getting stcuk continuously and impossible to go on without any help..

6. May 21, 2009 #5
    I like Maple myself.
    It has a built in tutor function that can guide you through your problems. You can also use it to show one step at the time or all steps.

Wolfram Alpha is great as well, but it doesn't differentiate what level of Mathematics you are at. So sometimes it might give you a method using advanced methods.

7. May 21, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

And just think -- not too long ago, the most sophisticated computing device commonly available was made out of bamboo and had two moving parts and no batteries. And later when calculators first came out, the ones who had them first were the drug dealers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook