Calculus Programs: Find Solns for Derivatives/Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses various computer programs that can assist with mathematical computations, specifically finding the derivative or integral of a function. Some programs mentioned include Mathematica, MATLAB, MathCAD, Maple, and Wolfram Alpha. However, the speaker suggests that it is better to learn how to solve problems by hand rather than rely on computer programs.
geffman1
hey guys, i was wondering if anyone know anygood program that you can type in a function and it gives a worked solution to get the deravtive/integral. thanks for any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you're trying to get a computer to do your homework for you. There are many computer programs and packages can be used to perform mathematical computations (Mathematica, MATLAB, MathCAD, octave, Maxima, SciPy), but you're much better off just learning to do your problems by hand.

- Warren

na I am trying, I've got problems with answers, but keep getting stcuk continuously and impossible to go on without any help..

I like Maple myself.
It has a built in tutor function that can guide you through your problems. You can also use it to show one step at the time or all steps.

Wolfram Alpha is great as well, but it doesn't differentiate what level of Mathematics you are at. So sometimes it might give you a method using advanced methods.

geffman1 said:
hey guys, i was wondering if anyone know anygood program that you can type in a function and it gives a worked solution to get the deravtive/integral. thanks for any replies.
And just think -- not too long ago, the most sophisticated computing device commonly available was made out of bamboo and had two moving parts and no batteries. And later when calculators first came out, the ones who had them first were the drug dealers.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and motion. It is used to model and analyze complex systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the purpose of a Calculus program?

A Calculus program is designed to help students and professionals solve problems involving derivatives and integrals. It provides a systematic approach to finding solutions and helps users understand the underlying concepts of Calculus.

3. How do Calculus programs find solutions for derivatives?

Calculus programs use algorithms and numerical methods to calculate derivatives. They take into consideration the function's rate of change at different points and approximate the derivative using small intervals.

4. Can Calculus programs also solve integrals?

Yes, most Calculus programs have the capability to solve integrals as well. They use different techniques such as the fundamental theorem of Calculus, substitution, and integration by parts to find the exact or approximate value of the integral.

5. Are Calculus programs accurate?

The accuracy of a Calculus program depends on the complexity of the problem and the precision of the input values. In general, they provide reasonably accurate solutions, but it is always recommended to double-check the results and understand the steps taken by the program to arrive at the solution.