1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Proofs Help! Thanks

1. May 24, 2014 #1
    Hi, I've been trying a couple of proofs that my calc teacher gave me, but I'm not sure if I have the right approach or not.

1) Prove that the degree of the depressed polynomial is exactly one less than the degree of the original polynomial.

- For this proof, all I can come up is the face that since a "x" has been removed from P(x), the depressed polynomial Q(x) has 1 less "x" in each of its terms, and therefore has one less degree. is this correct? I cannot seem to express this in terms of variables and numbers.

2) Factor P(x) = x^3 + x^2 - 16x + 20 into the product of a constant and 3 linear factors.

- Can I factor out a 4 and use that as a constant?

3) Show that x=a is a root of x^3 - ax^2 + ax - mx^2 - a^2 + amx = 0, without using synthetic division.

- Do I just plug in x=a into the polynomial and show that the entire thing does come out to zero, or...?

4) Given that x=a is a root of x^3 - ax^2 - ax - mx - mx^2 + a^2 + am + amx = 0, use synthetic division to factor that eight-term polynomial into the product of two factors: one in linear x, one quadratic in x.

- I have NO idea how to even start this... any help would be great! lol

Well, these are it. I have some ideas to solve them, but I'm not sure if they can really be considered proofs. Any help and suggestions would be great! Thanks! :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course not. 4 is not a common factor. Use the rational roots theorem and synthetic division.

Did you try that? Did it work?

Collect terms on powers of x and use synthetic division by (x-a).

4. May 25, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

(1) ... what is the definition of a depressed polynomial?
    Most proofs start out with a statement of definition.

(2) ... what happens when you try?
    (As LCKurtz points out, 4 is not a common factor. Had you tried, you'd have got your answer.)
    Sometimes the only way to identify the right path is to follow it for a while.
    You would be better to try to factorize the polynomial first.

(3) ... what is the definition of "root of a polynomial"?
    The comment here is a combination of those for (1) and (2) ... try it and see.

(4) if "a" is a root of the polynomial, then "(x-a)" is a factor.
    How would you normally go about factorizing a polynomial?

This is giving me deja-vu ... anyway, LCKurtz has given you some good clues if you don't know some of the theory. It is all stuff you can look up. Let us know how you got on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted