1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus question w/answer

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1

Below i have attched both my question and answer. Can someone please take a look and tell me if its right? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2005 #2
    anyone please and thank you!
  4. Apr 7, 2005 #3
    Looks absolutely fine to me. Good work.

A bit weird that there is a t on the top and bottom at the start though.

Interesting method of notation too. I always used write in extra u's and v's for the quotient differential, etc. but you've kept it in y's and t's
  5. Apr 7, 2005 #4
    His notation is wrong (or at least, not consistent with any sort of standard mathematical notation).

[tex]y = f(x) \Longrightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx} f(x) \neq \frac{dy}{dx}f(x),[/tex]

(unless [itex]f(x)[/itex], and hence [itex]y[/itex], is constant)
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  6. Apr 7, 2005 #5
    so how is it suppose to be? i dont get you
  7. Apr 7, 2005 #6
    On line 2, on the right hand side where you have the fraction dy/dt, tehre should not be a y. It should be

[tex] \frac{d}{dt} (\frac{t-6}{t+6}) [/tex]
  8. Apr 7, 2005 #7
    You did it more than once,

dy/dt implies the derivative of th eoriginal function, which isnt what your doing in every step, you are taking a derivative of a single term inthe function, hence (d/dt) not (dy/dt)
  9. Apr 7, 2005 #8
    Look at my last post, then look at your work.

means that you are multiplying the derivative of [itex]y[/itex] by [itex]f(x)[/itex]. On the other hand,

means that you are taking the derivative of [itex]f(x)[/itex].
  10. Apr 7, 2005 #9
    thanks guys..got you
  11. Apr 8, 2005 #10
    Also the last line should read "dy/dt = ..." and not "dy/dx = ...".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?