1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Question

1. Mar 11, 2006 #1
    Hey hey.

I have this question I have a hard time figuring out. Here is the assignment as I got it:

What points are the closests between the functions

x^4 + y^4 = 17

and

x + 8y = 30?

I have started a few times but never really got far. I thought the line between the closets points must be a right angle with the plane x + 8y = 30, which might be solved with dot products. That, and that x^4 + y^4 = 17 describes some type of circle, but I cant really see it in front of me.

Anyone have any pointers? :!!)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2006 #2
    Well, one way of doing it would be to find dy/dx for both, and then make the dy/dx for the first equation equal the dy/dx for the second. You should get a function in x and y, then solve simultaniously with either of the equations of the lines. Like I said, not the best way, but it should work. You could try and do it with cross products if you like.

e.g.
    [itex] 4x^3 + 4y^3 \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 [/itex] then do the same for the other one and substitute one into the other.

4. Mar 11, 2006 #3

Fermat

Homework Helper

x^4 + y^4 = 17 is like a square with curved corners (centred on the origin).
    x + 8y = 30 isn't a plane, it's a straight line.

What you have to do is find a point (Px, Py) on the x^4 + y^4 = 17 curve where the slope is the same as the slope of the straight line.
    If you draw this tangent, it will be equidistant everywhere to the straight line x + 8y = 30.
    Now all you have to do is find the distance beteen a point P and a straight line, x + 8y = 30.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?