1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus questions

1. Oct 9, 2005 #1
    Hello there, I have a few problems with a recent calculus assignment and i was wondering if someone could give me a hand.

1. Suppose that the temperature at the point (x,y,z) in space is T(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2. Let a particle follow the right-circular helix sigma(t) = (cost, sint, t) and let T(t) be its temperature at time t,
    a) What is T'(t)

I thought that since T is the temperature at a point, but the particle travles along the helix i could write
    T(t) = (costt, sint, t) = (cost)^2 + (sint)^2 + t^t = 1 + t^2
    then T'(t) = 2t

does that make sense?

My next problem i am quite stumped on, and even a slight tap in the general right direction would be much appreciated.
    2. Let f and g be functions R^3=>R. Suppose f is differentiable and

(Gradient)f = (partial f wrt x, partial f wrt y, partial f wrt z) = g(x,y,z)(x,y,z)

Show that f is constant on any sphere radius r centered at the origin defined by x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2.

Thanks alot
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it does.

For the next problem, you are being asked to show that the level surfaces of [itex]f[/itex] are the spheres [itex]S: x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2[/itex]. That means that [itex]\hat{\nabla}f[/itex] must be normal to [itex]f[/itex] (why?). That should be easy enough to show.
  4. Oct 9, 2005 #3
    Thank you, i wasn't sure if i had done that one correctly.

As for question two, that definatly clears up some things, however i'm having trouble showing this.
    If F is constant, the gradient of F is normal. So to show that F is constant on any sphere defined by S: x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2 i have to show that the gradient of F is normal, that is the inner product of the gradient of F with the tangent vector v is zero.. right? however, i'm not quite sure how to do that.. what is the purpose of g(x,y,z)(x,y,z) in the question?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?