What topics in Calculus II should I review for Intro to Physics II?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topics covered in Intro to Physics II and Calculus II. Calc II is a co-requisite for Physics II and the teacher may presume knowledge not yet taught in Calc I. The main concern is preparing for Physics II by reviewing topics in Calc II, such as calculus of transcendental functions, integration techniques, and infinite series. Differential equations may also be helpful. It is recommended to talk to the professor teaching the course for a better understanding of the course requirements. The conversation also includes a discussion on a first year E&M course and its prerequisites, with some suggestions for additional topics to review before taking the course.
Skomatth
Next semester I'm taking Intro to Physics II and Calculus II concurrently. Calc II is a co-requisite for Physics II, but in Physics I I've found that sometimes the teacher presumes knowledge not yet taught in Calc I (co-requisite for physics I). I was wondering if there were any topics in Calc II I should look at on my own before next semester in order to prepare for physics. Here are the course description to give you an idea of what the courses involve:

Calc I: Limits, continuity, differentiation and integration, applications, FTC and Taylor's Theorem (I not sure if we're going to cover Taylor)

Calc II: Calculus of transcendental functions, integration techniques (substitution was already covered), and infinite series.

Physics II:Quantitative development of electromagnetism and optics.

I'm assuming I'll need some knowledge of differential equations (already have this) but are there any other things that I should really know?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll be fine. If I remember correctly, the most calculus you'll ever need to do in an intro to physics class is single variable integration.

Depends on the intro E&M course... mine includes a good bit of volume integration and most other vector calculus subjects as well. Linear algebra or vector calculus are official co-requisites, but vector calculus has been pretty essential, although the professor was willing to teach the math as well as the physics when needed.

Your course probably differs, but it would still be worthwhile to talk to the professor teaching it to figure this out. We can't judge such matters without knowing the course.

Last edited:
The E&M course I'm in deals with differential equations (for example in circuits), path integrals, vectors, and fields.
The description is:

Electric charge and current, electric and magnetic fields in vacuum and in materials, and induction. AC circuits, displacement current, and electromagnetic waves.

I would think as long as you understand vectors, vector fields, and basic integration you will be fine. We don't have to deal with anything as far as differential equations are concerned. We are shown the laws in their proper form, but the book derives everything into clean, symmetric problems. Thus, you shouldn't even have to worry about integrating over a path either. Just understand the concepts I guess.

If you want some excellent videos on E&M check out the open course ware videos at MIT. The professor is AMAZING.
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-02Electricity-and-MagnetismSpring2002/VideoLectures/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
You can learn little "tricks" to deal with the volume integrations. But, it is much easier to understand the math that describes the physical phenomenon, instead of trying to memorize every possible case.

Stephan Hoyer said:
Depends on the intro E&M course... mine includes a good bit of volume integration and most other vector calculus subjects as well. Linear algebra or vector calculus are official co-requisites, but vector calculus has been pretty essential, although the professor was willing to teach the math as well as the physics when needed.

Your course probably differs, but it would still be worthwhile to talk to the professor teaching it to figure this out. We can't judge such matters without knowing the course.

Its a first year E&M class.

franznietzsche said:
Its a first year E&M class.
It is taken in the third semester at my college (first semester sophomore year), but it is the first E&M class we take as a physics major and still very much an introduction to the subject (first semester is intro to quantum mechanics and special relativity, second semester is intro to mechanics).

Stephan Hoyer said:
It is taken in the third semester at my college (first semester sophomore year), but it is the first E&M class we take as a physics major and still very much an introduction to the subject (first semester is intro to quantum mechanics and special relativity, second semester is intro to mechanics).

You're still talking about a different class than the original poster is. He is talking about the second intro to physics course. There is no chance you took a pure high level E&M/Vector Calculus course without taking an intro to physics sequence.

Maxwell said:
You're still talking about a different class than the original poster is. He is talking about the second intro to physics course. There is no chance you took a pure high level E&M/Vector Calculus course without taking an intro to physics sequence.
No seriously, it IS the intro to physics sequence. I have never taken a class before on E&M and it is the first E&M course offered for physics majors at my school. I had an extremely rudimentary background in E&M from high school, but that's not assumed for the course. We're using EM Purcell's text, which includes all that fun vector calculus (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0070049084/?tag=pfamazon01-20).

Stephan Hoyer said:
No seriously, it IS the intro to physics sequence. I have never taken a class before on E&M and it is the first E&M course offered for physics majors at my school. I had an extremely rudimentary background in E&M from high school, but that's not assumed for the course. We're using EM Purcell's text, which includes all that fun vector calculus (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0070049084/?tag=pfamazon01-20).

Right... but that's still not the same course the original poster is talking about. He posted course descriptions.

It seems like some schools require you to finish cal2 or 3 before the fresh/soph EM class. I guess it really depends on how its taught. At my school it was taught with a heavy emphasis on integration, not so much finding antiderivatives, but understanding when and how to integrate the sum of a bunch of infinitesimal quantities. A basic understand of vectors is presumed as well,which you should have used in mechanics anyway.
My class didnt REQUIRE Diff-eq but it helps since many book derivations use techniques from that class. I would suggest learning the simplest method of solving ODEs, separation of variables. It also wouldn't hurt to preview trig sub integration techniques. OH and pick up some linear algebra to make solving linear systems easier and faster (gauss-jordan, or learn how to use a graphing calculator to spit it out for you)

it totally depends on the school.

Here, it requires Calc 1-3 and 2 semesters of linear algebra.

perhaps you don't know, AP level E&M already requires surface integral and the idea of line integral. ODE and vector calculus (grad, div, curl) also maybe helpful too.

What is the importance of calculus in understanding electromagnetism?

Calculus is essential for understanding electromagnetism because it allows us to mathematically describe and analyze the continuously changing electric and magnetic fields. Without calculus, it would be difficult to solve complex equations and derive important equations such as Maxwell's equations, which form the basis of electromagnetism.

What are some specific applications of calculus in electromagnetism?

Calculus is used in various applications within electromagnetism, such as calculating the electric and magnetic fields of moving charges, finding the potential and electric field of a charged object, and determining the electromagnetic waves generated by accelerating charges.

What are some key concepts in calculus that are necessary for understanding electromagnetism?

Some key concepts in calculus that are important for understanding electromagnetism include derivatives, integrals, vector calculus, and multivariable calculus. These concepts allow us to analyze the changing electric and magnetic fields in three dimensions and solve complex equations.

Do I need to have a strong background in calculus to understand electromagnetism?

Yes, a strong understanding of calculus is necessary to fully grasp the concepts and equations in electromagnetism. It is important to have a solid foundation in calculus before delving into the more advanced concepts of electromagnetism.

What are some resources for learning calculus required for electromagnetism?

There are many resources available for learning calculus, such as textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some specific resources for learning calculus required for electromagnetism include "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by William Briggs and Lyle Cochran and "Calculus for Electromagnetism" by Paul K. Feyerabend.