Solving Calculus Derivatives at a Specific Point

• Thread starter tee yeh hun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of the derivative of the quotient of two functions given certain information about the functions. The Quotient Rule for derivatives is applied, with the final answer being -\frac{20}{9}. The conversation also mentions resources such as Wikipedia to help with understanding and solving the problem.
tee yeh hun
F(5) =1 , F'(5)=6, G(5)=-3 and g'(5)=2 Find the value

([tex]\frac{f}{g}[/tex])'(5) = ?

Answer is -[tex]\frac{20}{9}[/tex].

Can anyone shows the way to solve this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotient_rule" [Broken] helps?

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess not...

You need to apply the Quotient Rule for derivatives,
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\right) = \frac{g(x)f'(x)-f(x)g'(x)}{(g(x))^2}[/tex]

You're given certain information on two functions. How can you use that information to find the derivative of the quotient of the two functions?

This is obviously a homework question. We won't solve your homework for you, only point you in the right direction.

sorry for posting the wrong place, will change the place.

I am not sure why they ask such a question.

I am not expecting others to do my homework but only wants other people to show me the direction.

tee yeh hun said:
I am not sure why they ask such a question.

These questions are designed to test one's knowledge of the various rules of differentiation, in this case the quotient rule.

All you really need to do is plug in the proper values.

oh!... i got it already , thank you

1. What is the purpose of solving calculus questions?

The purpose of solving calculus questions is to understand and analyze the behavior and relationships of mathematical functions. It is also used to solve real-world problems involving rates of change and optimization.

2. How do I know which calculus method to use for a specific question?

To determine which calculus method to use, you must first identify the type of problem you are dealing with. For example, if the question involves finding the maximum or minimum value, you will use optimization techniques. If the question involves finding the slope of a curve, you will use derivative rules. It is important to understand and practice different methods to become familiar with their applications.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus questions include not using the correct formula or method, making calculation errors, and not paying attention to the given constraints. It is important to double check your work and make sure you understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve calculus questions?

It depends on the type of calculus question you are dealing with. For basic calculations and graphing, a calculator can be helpful. However, for more complex problems, it is important to understand the concepts and use manual calculation methods to ensure accuracy.

5. How can I improve my calculus problem-solving skills?

To improve your calculus problem-solving skills, it is important to practice regularly and consistently. Make sure to understand the underlying concepts and review any mistakes you make. You can also seek help from a tutor or join study groups to gain a better understanding of the subject.