Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Strang

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    Is it worth printing the book by Strang? I already have Stewart, but it's always nice to have more than one text if possible. How would you compare Strang with Stewart?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2
    I'd like to know this too. Is it worth going through the Strang book (which is online for free) to pick up on anything I haven't learnt from my class?

4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    I'm currently doing all of Stewart's problems ... but Strang's book seems a little more in-depth and old-school which I like.

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4
    I started with Strang and then got Stewart. Strang is good for the basics but Stewart is like double the length, I found Stewart to be a great supplementation, but it is expensive.

6. Mar 28, 2008 #5
    So how would you compare the 2? You only mentioned Stewart is double the length and a good supplementation. Are you saying that Strang is more in-depth? I already have Stewart but I can print for free at work, just not sure if it's worth the time.

7. Mar 28, 2008 #6
    If you want a different outlook, then I say print Strang, it's always good to get multiple perspectives.

8. Mar 28, 2008 #7
    I already have another Calculus text, by Spivak. I want a plug-and-chug book. Which is better and harder in terms of problems and computing, Stewart or Strang?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook