1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Strang

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    Is it worth printing the book by Strang? I already have Stewart, but it's always nice to have more than one text if possible. How would you compare Strang with Stewart?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2
    I'd like to know this too. Is it worth going through the Strang book (which is online for free) to pick up on anything I haven't learnt from my class?

4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    I'm currently doing all of Stewart's problems ... but Strang's book seems a little more in-depth and old-school which I like.

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4
    I started with Strang and then got Stewart. Strang is good for the basics but Stewart is like double the length, I found Stewart to be a great supplementation, but it is expensive.

6. Mar 28, 2008 #5
    So how would you compare the 2? You only mentioned Stewart is double the length and a good supplementation. Are you saying that Strang is more in-depth? I already have Stewart but I can print for free at work, just not sure if it's worth the time.

7. Mar 28, 2008 #6
    If you want a different outlook, then I say print Strang, it's always good to get multiple perspectives.

8. Mar 28, 2008 #7
    I already have another Calculus text, by Spivak. I want a plug-and-chug book. Which is better and harder in terms of problems and computing, Stewart or Strang?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?