Comparing Strang & Stewart: Is it Worth Printing the Book?

In summary, the conversation is about whether it is worth printing the book by Strang and how it compares to Stewart. The participants discuss the depth and length of the books, their personal preferences, and the availability of free online resources. They also consider the difficulty level and problem-solving approach of both books. Ultimately, the decision to print Strang is based on the desire for a different perspective and the availability of free resources.
rocomath
Is it worth printing the book by Strang? I already have Stewart, but it's always nice to have more than one text if possible. How would you compare Strang with Stewart?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like to know this too. Is it worth going through the Strang book (which is online for free) to pick up on anything I haven't learned from my class?

awvvu said:
I'd like to know this too. Is it worth going through the Strang book (which is online for free) to pick up on anything I haven't learned from my class?
I'm currently doing all of Stewart's problems ... but Strang's book seems a little more in-depth and old-school which I like.

I started with Strang and then got Stewart. Strang is good for the basics but Stewart is like double the length, I found Stewart to be a great supplementation, but it is expensive.

So how would you compare the 2? You only mentioned Stewart is double the length and a good supplementation. Are you saying that Strang is more in-depth? I already have Stewart but I can print for free at work, just not sure if it's worth the time.

If you want a different outlook, then I say print Strang, it's always good to get multiple perspectives.

I already have another Calculus text, by Spivak. I want a plug-and-chug book. Which is better and harder in terms of problems and computing, Stewart or Strang?

1. What are the main differences between Strang and Stewart's books?

Strang and Stewart's books have different approaches to teaching linear algebra. Strang's book uses a more theoretical and abstract approach, while Stewart's book focuses on practical applications and examples.

2. Which book is more suitable for beginners?

Strang's book may be more suitable for beginners as it covers the fundamental concepts of linear algebra in a clear and concise manner. However, Stewart's book may be easier for those with a strong background in mathematics or those who prefer a more hands-on approach.

3. Which book has better reviews from readers?

Both books have received positive reviews from readers. However, Strang's book tends to have more reviews and a higher overall rating.

4. Are the topics covered in both books the same?

Both books cover similar topics, such as vector spaces, matrices, and linear transformations. However, the order in which these topics are presented may differ between the two books.

5. Do the authors offer different perspectives on the subject?

Yes, Strang and Stewart have different perspectives on teaching linear algebra. Strang focuses on the abstract concepts and underlying principles, while Stewart emphasizes real-world applications and problem-solving techniques.