1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus - strange anomaly? can anyone explain

1. Jul 23, 2003 #1
    f(x) = (1 - x^2)^1/2

This all stems from me approximating pi by numerically evaluating the integral S f(x)dx from 0 to 1 and multiply the sum by 4.

Now...

Would you agree that f(x) has a derivative
    f'(x) = (1 - x^2)^-1/2 * -2x

?

According to my textbook this is so. Now I can easily find a primary function for f(x).

F(x) = (1 - x^2)^3/2 / -2x

Now it doesn't seem possible to evaluate [ F(x) ] from 0 to 1.
    Though it should yeild pi/4, it doesn't.

Doing a riemann sum produces an approximation to pi, while evaluating [ F(x) ] only returns bogus. Since pi is an irrational number I accept that it is impossible to express it exactly. Though, I would like someone to explain why this doesn't work.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2003 #2
    If you plot the function

it is of course a circle centered on x and y equals zero, and has an infinite derivative at x=&plusminus;1.

4. Jul 23, 2003 #3
    Your F(x) is not the antiderivative to f(x) = sqrt(1-x2). It should be F(x) = (1/2)x sqrt(1-x2)+arcsin(x)/2. This new F(x) evaluates the function properly.

5. Jul 23, 2003 #4
    Ok thanks alot! Something must be left out of my textbook in that case.

Can you give me more info on this?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2003
  6. Jul 23, 2003 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try differentiating F(x); you'll see that it does not come out to f(x).

As for evaluating the integral, look through the section on trigonometric substitution.

7. Jul 24, 2003 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Does your textbook have the "fundamental theorem of calculus"?

If you agree that the derivative of f= (1 - x^2)^1/2 is
    f'(x) = (1 - x^2)^-1/2 * -2x then obviously a "primary" function for f' is f itself, not the formula you give.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook