• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Calculus Textbooks

thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
Can someone explain why certain people look at Stewart's with disgust? I honestly don't know why, as this is the only book I have learned from thus far. Have I been robbed of a proper foundation in calculus by using this (university chosen) book??
I guess it's not a bad textbook if you're just starting to learn calculus, as you're just learning primarily the methods used and their applications.

But if you're looking to study the theory behind all these techniques, then you ought to look for something else.

I agree with thrill3rnit3. Another book for those who are starting out is the Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series text. Very good IMO, without too much rigor.

Oh, i've already bought the stewart 5th edition. But i mean you guys can keep discussing if you want.

Thomas's Calculus 11th ed for Single variable and multivariable along side Michael Spivak's Calculus .., start Spivak when done with single variable calculus. don't get scared of spivak

i have thomas 7th edition its rock solid, has good intro to diff eqn, and a nice intro to matrices

thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
Personally I learned Calculus with Thomas's Classic 2nd edition, and it was pretty good, didn't have some of the topics that later editions have, but it was a pretty good introduction.