1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Titles

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    I am in a bit of a quandary in terms of figuring out the differences between two books by James Stewart. http://www.stewartcalculus.com/

What are the main differences between "Calculus 6e Early Transcendentals" and "Essential Calculus Early Transcendentals?" Is one introductory of the other?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2
    Just different versions. Early transcendals is the single variable volume, and the other one "Calculus" which is a two volume set, containing single and multivariable calculus. You can also by the multivariable volume on its own, though I don't see it pictured (however early vectors might just be that).

As a side note, Stewart teaches at my school LOL.

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3
    I don't mean to harp on Howers, but I don't think any of what he said is true. I'm familiar with the "Calculus" series. From the website, it appears that the "Essential Calculus" series is a trimmed down version of the "Calculus" series (hence the "Essential"?). Both series treat the calculus of single and several variables.

In either case, the "Early Transcendentals" subtitle indicates that he treats the calculus of transcendental equations at an earlier point than in the one without the subtitle. Same idea with "Early Vectors." These are useful alternatives for students that may see University Physics in their first semester/quarter or second quarter of school.

5. Jul 31, 2008 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?