1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus to calculate charge

1. Sep 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A nonuniform, but spherically symmetric, distribution of charge has a charge density ρ(r) given as follows:
    ρ(r) = ρ0(1-r/R) for r≤R
    ρ(r) = 0 for r≥R

where ρ0 = 3Q/∏R^3 is a positive constant.

(a.) Show that the total charge contained in the charge distribution is Q.
    (b.) Show that the electric field in the region r≥R is identical to that produced by a point charge Q at r = 0.
    (c.) Obtain an expression for the electric field in the region r≤R.
    (d) Graph the electric field magnitude E as a function of r.
    (e.) Find the value of r at which the electric field is maximum, and find the value of that maximum field.

2. Relevant equations

Gauss' Law : Flux = ∫E dot dA = Qencl/ε 0
    Electric Field of a point charge: E = k*(q/r^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am really just having trouble setting up the integral. You would be integrating the electric field over a sphere, so you would need to choose dA (is this a slice of the area of the sphere?) and a formula to find electric field for a given r. In order to find the latter you would need to use Gauss' Law in which case a give r would give the electric field

ρ(r) = q /A1 (is this the area or the volume of the sphere in question?)
    q = ρ(r)*A1

E*A2 (what area is this?)= q/ε0
    E = ρ(r)*A1 / A2*ε0

There are a few things I am confused about in here so please feel free to ask me to clarify anything. I need to know if I am on the right track here.

Thanks!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

For part (a), you want to use ##dq = \rho\,dv## and integrate over the entire sphere to find the total charge. You don't use Gauss's law here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted