1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus troubles yay.

1. Apr 18, 2006 #1
    Okay, you have 2 equations (and no points on the graph given) -- You have f(x) = 2x-3x^3 and f(x) = c. You are to find the area under the curve between those 2 functions and are to make it equal with the area between the y axis and the 2 curves.

So, I started this problem initially by creating a graph, and putting all my points on it. I integrated both the areas with respect to x.. and I used (for the area bounded by the y axis and the curves -- which I marked A1) the bounds 0 to 2x-3x^3.

For the second one, I don't know what bounds to use.. and I think this is where I messed up initially... I used my original bounds which are now clearly wrong...

I'm so stumped, and it's most likely something silly....

Edit: in my sleepy stuper, I forgot to include (although it may be obvious) that you are to be solving for C :)
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can't make heads or tails out of what you are saying. To start with you are given y= 2x- 3x3 and y= c and you are asked to find the area between them. Okay, that would be the integral of 2x- 3x3- c where the limits of integration are two points at which the curves intersect (NOT "0 to 2x- 3x3"). Of course for many values of c, those two curves might not intersect twice so there would be no area. I have no idea what you mean by "the area between the y axis and the 2 curves". There is no one region "between the y axis and the 2 curves" so there is no one area.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?