1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus - vector potentials

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

Please take a look at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=9p...ts=peoLUp4z_M&sig=vaRVDMazSj10x0k4v4iGKCHni0o

What do they mean by that hint?

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I want to find the divergence of the three vectors.

Second, for the vectors which have a divergence equal to zero, I want to find the vector A so the rotation of A = B. But this is the part I am in doubt about - can you help?

Sincerely, Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For static fields, the vector potential [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] is parallel to the current density [itex]\vec{J}[/itex]. And, Ampere's law says that [itex]\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{B}[/itex] is parallel to the current density as well, under the same condition. Since the vector potential and the curl of the magnetic field are both parallel to the same vector, they are parallel to each other.

Here's a hint: If [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] is parallel to [itex]\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{B}[/itex], then [itex]\vec{A}=k\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{B}[/itex] for some [itex]k[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?