1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus: Vectors QUICK HELP PLEASE

1. Sep 27, 2006 #1
    Calculus: Vectors QUICK HELP PLEASE!!!!

Okay so i need a little help.

Heres the problem.

The question asks...

Find a vector that has the same direction as <-2,4,2> but has length 6. :surprised

So i Did the |v|= Sqrt( A1^2+A2^2+A3^2)= sqrt(24) which is how you begin to find the unit vector with the same direction. I get stumped on how to find it with length 6. The new vector with the same direction would be... <-2/Sqrt(24), 4/Sqrt(24), 2/Sqrt(24)... but.. what about the length of 6..?

Can anybody help me? What do i do with this length of 6? :yuck:

... any help would be awesome!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Say you scaled the original vector by the same amount in all 3 dimensions. Which way would the scaled vector point?

4. Sep 27, 2006 #3
    Do you just multiply everything by 6, or in your example by 3?

5. Sep 27, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Hint: what is the manitude of the unit vector? :biggrin:

6. Sep 27, 2006 #5
    The magnitude of the unit vector is sqrt(24) as i stated above. That is sqrt(24) of the original vector.

7. Sep 27, 2006 #6
    ???? Help?

8. Sep 27, 2006 #7
    No, it's one. That's why it is called " unit vector". So what do you have to do to get a vector of length 6 pointing in the same direction?

9. Sep 27, 2006 #8
    Do u multiply or divide by 6? Im seriously lost as in how to get the new vector which i have found the direction too, to get a length of 6.. im totally lost. I would assume you multiply by 6, thus it would be length of 6?

10. Sep 27, 2006 #9
    That's right. Think of it as an stick which is one cm long and pointing in some direction - to get a stick with a length of 6 cm and pointing in the same direction, you have to stick six of these sticks together.

11. Sep 27, 2006 #10
    Okay so i need to multiply the new vector by 6. That means <a1*6, a2*6,a3*6>? Do u see what i mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?