Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculus: Vectors QUICK HELP PLEASE

1. Sep 27, 2006 #1
    Calculus: Vectors QUICK HELP PLEASE!!!!

Okay so i need a little help.

Heres the problem.

The question asks...

Find a vector that has the same direction as <-2,4,2> but has length 6. :surprised

So i Did the |v|= Sqrt( A1^2+A2^2+A3^2)= sqrt(24) which is how you begin to find the unit vector with the same direction. I get stumped on how to find it with length 6. The new vector with the same direction would be... <-2/Sqrt(24), 4/Sqrt(24), 2/Sqrt(24)... but.. what about the length of 6..?

Can anybody help me? What do i do with this length of 6? :yuck:

... any help would be awesome!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Say you scaled the original vector by the same amount in all 3 dimensions. Which way would the scaled vector point?

4. Sep 27, 2006 #3
    Do you just multiply everything by 6, or in your example by 3?

5. Sep 27, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Hint: what is the manitude of the unit vector? :biggrin:

6. Sep 27, 2006 #5
    The magnitude of the unit vector is sqrt(24) as i stated above. That is sqrt(24) of the original vector.

7. Sep 27, 2006 #6
    ???? Help?

8. Sep 27, 2006 #7
    No, it's one. That's why it is called " unit vector". So what do you have to do to get a vector of length 6 pointing in the same direction?

9. Sep 27, 2006 #8
    Do u multiply or divide by 6? Im seriously lost as in how to get the new vector which i have found the direction too, to get a length of 6.. im totally lost. I would assume you multiply by 6, thus it would be length of 6?

10. Sep 27, 2006 #9
    That's right. Think of it as an stick which is one cm long and pointing in some direction - to get a stick with a length of 6 cm and pointing in the same direction, you have to stick six of these sticks together.

11. Sep 27, 2006 #10
    Okay so i need to multiply the new vector by 6. That means <a1*6, a2*6,a3*6>? Do u see what i mean?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook