Calculating the Volume of a Rotated Solid Using Calculus

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a solid generated by rotating a region in the x-y plane about a line Y=4. The interval of integration is given as [-pi/2, 3pi/2] and the function to be integrated is (4-3sinx+1)^2. The person is seeking help as their answer is not matching with the answer given by their course homework site. They have also received a hint to use a double angle formula, but they are unsure if they have set up the volume equation correctly. Various suggestions are given, including substituting z=y-4 and sketching the region and solid of revolution. It is also mentioned that there may be an error in the integral
anthonybommarito1
Find the volume of the solid generated by rotating the region of the x-y plane between the line Y=4,the curve Y=3sin(x)+1 on the interval [-pi/2,3pi/2] about the line Y=4Hi I am having trouble setting up this problem my guess for the integral would be from -pi/2 to 3pi/2 of (4-3sinx+1)^2 because it is being rotated around the line y=4. When i plug the answer i get from this into my course homework site it gives me a hint saying that I should i try use a double angle formula which leads me to believe i may have set of my volume equation wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay well I know because it is being rotated around a line y=4 that is not on the axis it follows that the integral from a to be which in this case would be -pi/2 to 3pi/2 of the outer radius squared minus the inner radius squared times pi. I believe that 3 sin(x)+1 was my outer radius because it is furthest away from the line y=4, my inner radius is zero because my upper bound is the axis I am rotating about so that gives me the integral from -pi/2 to 3pi/2 of (4-3sinx+1)^2 because the line y=4 is above 3sinx+1 i subtracted it. Distributing the square gives me 9sin^2x -30sinx+25 times pi. I am confused if i set up the correct function to be integrated and I worked on many problems like this, the only difference is that their were two functions both off of the axis of rotation. I am just struggle with the idea that it is on the axis of rotation and how i apply a double angle to that.

There are lots of ways of doing the problem - if the hint makes no sense it may just be that you have used a different approach to what the book's author expected.
A quick way to check your understanding of the problem is to sketch the function and shade in the region being integrated. I would look for an equivalent solid - one with the same volume - that is easier to set the integral up for.

Simon Bridge said:
A quick way to check your understanding of the problem is to sketch the function and shade in the region being integrated.
In addition to sketching the region that is being revolved, I always draw a sketch of the solid of revolution, including the typical volume element.

If I'm following things - there is an error here
the integral from -pi/2 to 3pi/2 of (4-3sinx+1)^2
... this does not follow from the description. Check your algebra.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid using calculus?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid using calculus is the integral of the cross-sectional area of the solid with respect to the variable of the axis of revolution.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding the volume of a solid?

The limits of integration are determined by the points where the solid intersects the axis of revolution. These points will serve as the boundaries for the integral.

3. Can you use calculus to find the volume of any solid?

Yes, calculus can be used to find the volume of any solid as long as the solid has a defined cross-sectional area and can be rotated around an axis.

4. What is the difference between finding the volume of a solid using calculus and using basic geometry?

The main difference is that calculus allows for finding the volume of more complex shapes by breaking them down into smaller, simpler shapes. Basic geometry only works for regular, well-defined shapes.

5. Are there any real-world applications of finding the volume of a solid using calculus?

Yes, there are many real-world applications, such as determining the volume of a water tank, calculating the amount of material needed for construction projects, and finding the volume of irregularly shaped objects in manufacturing and engineering.