From Pre-Calc to Calculus: My Experience and Tips for Success | (Jess)

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience in Pre-calc and their concerns about taking A.P. Calculus AB next year. The speaker has been doing well in Pre-calc and wonders if this means they will also do well in Calculus. Another person responds by saying that Calculus is different from Pre-calc and requires more conceptual understanding, but as long as the speaker keeps up with their studies, they should do well.
Sherard
I'm in Pre-calc as a sophomore and I find it very easy. I have held the highest grade in my class, of mostly juniors and seniors, since the beginning of the year. I am going to be taking A.P. Calculus AB next year and I am a little worried. Is it similar to pre-calc? If i did really well in pre-calc will i do just as well in calculus?by (jess)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're doing well so far, and you keep up with your studies, then I don't see why you would be so worried about taking Calc AB.

Calculus is much different than pre-calculus conceptually. Pre-calculus is just some algebra, trigonometry, and review to help you in calculus but rarely ever has calculus. Once you study calculus, if you like it, then you will excel, even if it is hard work.

What is the difference between Calculus and Pre-Calculus?

Calculus and Pre-Calculus are both branches of mathematics, but they differ in their focus and level of difficulty. Pre-Calculus is a course that prepares students for Calculus by covering foundational concepts like algebra, trigonometry, and functions. Calculus, on the other hand, is the study of change and uses derivatives and integrals to analyze and solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Which one is more challenging, Calculus or Pre-Calculus?

It is subjective and depends on the individual's background and skill level. Pre-Calculus may be more challenging for those who struggle with algebra and trigonometry, while Calculus may be more challenging for those who have difficulty with abstract concepts and mathematical reasoning. However, both courses require dedication and practice to master.

Can I skip Pre-Calculus and directly take Calculus?

It is not recommended to skip Pre-Calculus as it provides essential building blocks for understanding Calculus. A strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and functions is crucial for success in Calculus. Skipping Pre-Calculus may lead to difficulties and gaps in knowledge that can hinder understanding and progress in Calculus.

Which one should I take, Calculus or Pre-Calculus?

If you are interested in pursuing a degree or career in a field that requires a strong understanding of mathematics, it is recommended to take both courses. Pre-Calculus will prepare you for the rigor and concepts covered in Calculus. If you are not sure or do not need to take Calculus, Pre-Calculus can still provide valuable mathematical knowledge and skills.

Is it possible to self-study Calculus without taking Pre-Calculus?

While it is possible to self-study Calculus without taking Pre-Calculus, it is not recommended. As mentioned before, Pre-Calculus provides essential foundations for understanding Calculus. Without these foundations, self-studying Calculus may be more challenging and lead to knowledge gaps. It is recommended to take Pre-Calculus first or use Pre-Calculus resources to supplement self-study of Calculus.