1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus with Dirac notation

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1

tpg

I am working through a problem relating to the conservation of probability in a continuity equation. However, I end up with a contradiction when trying to put the following into the Time-Dependent Schrodinger Equation

[tex]\frac{\partial\psi(x)}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial\left\langle x|\psi\right\rangle }{\partial t}[/tex]

where

[tex]\left|\psi\right\rangle =\intop_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx\,\psi(x)\left|x\right\rangle[/tex]

If I use the first form, together with

[tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi(x)}{\partial t} = H\psi(x)[/tex]
    and [tex]-i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi^{*}(x)}{\partial t} = H\psi^{*}(x)[/tex]

I get a sensible nonzero answer, which I believe to be correct.

However, if I start with the second form, I rearrange as follows (I'm pretty sure this step is correct)

[tex]\frac{\partial\left\langle x|\psi\right\rangle }{\partial t}=\frac{\partial\left\langle x\right|}{\partial t}\left|\psi\right\rangle +\left\langle x\right|\frac{\partial\left|\psi\right\rangle }{\partial t}[/tex]

Then if I use the following form of the TDSE:

[tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial\left|\psi\right\rangle }{\partial t} = H\left|\psi\right\rangle[/tex]

Which I believe results in

[tex]\frac{\partial\left\langle x|\psi\right\rangle }{\partial t}=\frac{i}{\hbar}\left(\left\langle x\right|H\left|\psi\right\rangle -\left\langle x\right|H\left|\psi\right\rangle \right)=0[/tex]

This doesn't make any sense to me. Can anyone please explain where I've gone wrong? Many thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?