How can I calculate the rate of change between a rising balloon and a cyclist?

In summary, the balloon is rising at a rate of 5 ft/s, and as the cyclist moves away it keeps on rising to a height of 45 ft.
jacy
Hello,
This is what am trying to solve

A balloon is rising at the rate of 5ft/s. A boy is cycling along a straight road at a speed of 15ft/s.when he passes under the balloon it is 45 ft above him.
How fast is the distance between the balloon and the boy increasing 3 seconds later

Please let me know if am on the right path
s^2=x^2+y^2

dy/dt = 5
dx/dt = 15
y= 45

so

2s ds/dt = 2x dx/dt + 2y dy/dt

is this correct but also we can conclude that ds/dt = 15.81,
but i think we have to find ds/dt.
In the above equation am getting two unkowns that's were am getting stuck. Please help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "y = 45" you should write as y(0) = 45 since y is really a function. In the equation you have last, 2s ds/dt = 2x dx/dt + 2y dy/dt, you have all the information you need. You can find s, x, and y by simple algebra and geometry, and you already know dx/dt and dy/dt. Then you can solve easily.

Last edited:
0rthodontist said:
The "y = 45" you should write as y(0) = 45 since y is really a function. In the equation you have last, 2s ds/dt = 2x dx/dt + 2y dy/dt, you have all the information you need. You can find s, x, and y by simple algebra and geometry, and you already know dx/dt and dy/dt. Then you can solve easily.

Thanks for replying. In this problem since its given to us that the cyclist is traveling at 15 ft/s, so in 3 seconds he will cover 45 ft and this will be the value of x. Now i have x, and y so i can find s and that will be s = 63.64 ft.

Now i can plug everything in the equation

ds/dt = 1/s (x dx/dt + y dy/dt)

so am getting ds/dt = 14.14 ft/s

please let me know if this is correct, sorry bout 15.81.

Last edited:
Not quite, you don't have the right value for s or y. Remember the balloon is moving too.

sorry bout 15.81.
My attitude is, it's far better to make errors at first but be right in the end than say nothing.

Last edited:
0rthodontist said:
Not quite, you don't have the right value for s or y. Remember the balloon is moving too.

My attitude is, it's far better to make errors at first but be right in the end than say nothing.

I used pythagorean theorem to get 15.81. I was thinking 15 to be the base and 5 to be the adjacent side.

Y= 45 ft high only when the cyclist is right under it. As the cyclist is moving away the balloon keeps on rising so the y value is changing. Balloon is rising at the rate of 5 ft/s, so this is dy/dt and 15 ft/s is dx/dt. My value of x is correct right. The cyclist is moving at 15 ft/s and in 3 seconds he would cover 45 ft. When the cyclist is 45 ft away from the balloon the height of the balloon will be 4 Y = 45 + y true. Thanks for looking into this problem.

The height of the balloon will be 60 feet. It is at 45 feet at time 0 and it moves with a speed of 5 ft/s over a period of 3 seconds.

0rthodontist said:
The height of the balloon will be 60 feet. It is at 45 feet at time 0 and it moves with a speed of 5 ft/s over a period of 3 seconds.

Thanks orthodontist for ur help, am getting the answer

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change, particularly in the form of rates and accumulation. It is used to model and analyze various phenomena in the fields of science, engineering, economics, and more.

2. What are word problems in calculus?

Word problems in calculus involve using calculus concepts and techniques to solve real-world, applied problems. These problems often require the use of derivatives and integrals to find solutions.

3. How do I approach a calculus word problem?

The first step in approaching a calculus word problem is to carefully read and understand the problem, identifying any given information and what is being asked to find. Then, use your knowledge of calculus concepts and equations to set up and solve the problem.

4. What are some common types of calculus word problems?

Common types of calculus word problems include optimization problems, related rates problems, and accumulation problems. These problems can involve a variety of real-world scenarios, such as finding maximum or minimum values, determining rates of change, and calculating total amounts.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving calculus word problems?

To improve your skills in solving calculus word problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with various types of problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or utilize online resources and practice exercises to strengthen your understanding of calculus concepts and problem-solving techniques.