Calculating Equations: Double Checking My Work | Calculus Word Problem Solution

• Thread starter Jabus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation was about solving a problem incorrectly and correcting the mistakes. The person asking for help initially made errors in their equations and then continued to make mistakes while trying to move forward. The expert provided corrections and guidance on how to properly solve the problem. The final answer obtained was x= 30√2.
Jabus
Okay, the following is just me trying to confirm if I did the problem correctly. It seems like I made a mistake somewhere, but the answer does sort of fit. So I suppose I'm just look for a check to see if I did this correctly. The equations I got from the world problem are top right, I then move into the problem on the left side and finish on the right. :D

Homework Statement

http://www.jabussucks.com/calcquestion.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.jabussucks.com/calcanswer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
At one point you have
[tex]P= 2x+ 3\left(\frac{1200}{x}[/tex]
which is correct. The next line is
[tex]= 2x+ \frac{3600}{3x}[/itex]
which is wrong: to multiply a fraction by 3, you multiply the numerator, not both numerator and denominator!
= 2x+ 3600*3x-1
Again wrong: you divide by the 3. But since that 3 is wrong to begin with, you've just made it worse. What you should have is P= 2x+ 3600 x-1.

Next you have
= x+ 5400x-1
that "5400" is your 10800 divided by 2. Apparently you have divided through by 2. But you have to divide both sides of the equation by 2. This would be P/2, not P. Anyway, it's best to leave it as P= 2x+ 3600x-1 and differentiate that.
Next, you have
[tex]= x+ \frac{1}{5400}[/tex]
No, the "-1" exponent applies only to x, not the "5400". There is, in any case, no point in moving the 1/x up to x-1 only to put it back in the denominator. Go ahead and differentiate P= 2x+ 3600x-1.

Unfortunately, having got the incorrect fraction, you add the fractions to get
[tex]P= \frac{5400x^2+1}{5400x}[/tex]
which is incorrect. I only mention it because you then have
[tex]P'= \frac{10800x}{5400}[/tex]
No, no, no! The derivative of [itex]\frac{f}{g}[/itex] is NOT [itex]\frac{f'}{g'}[/itex]!
As if that weren't bad enough, from
[tex]\frac{10800x}{5400}= 0[/tex]
you go to
10800x= 5400
and solve that to get x= 1/2. No! 5400*0= 0 not 5400!

Better is to take P= 2x+ 3600x-1 and differentiate it directly.
P'= 2- 3600x-2= 0. Then x2= 1800. Solve that for x.

Thanks for the reply HallsofIvy, I just wanted to check in on something. All of your corrections make sense, and clearly my brain isn't functioning today because those are all mostly things I should have caught myself doing.

But here's what happens when I try to go forward with P' = 2 - 3600x^-2

http://www.jabussucks.com/calcfollowup.jpg

So from there sub 0 for the P'. At which poin I can move the -3600x^-2 over to the left which gives me 3600x^-2 = 2

To isolate x do I not divide by 3600 both sides and then take the -2root of the right side? Perhaps, I'm just looking at everything wrong, I'm not sure what it is that's throwing me off.

I know If I go with your equation above:
x^2= 1800
then x = 42.4 but I'm hoping to find out what I'm doing wrong that I can't even get to that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are at that point! When you work out your value for x it will be 42.4! But, to do it the way that HoI did (and to keep things as fractions, which is always more a more exact way of calculating things) you have the line

[tex]x^{-2}=\frac{2}{3600}[/tex]

Note that [tex]\frac{2}{3600}=\frac{1}{1800}[/tex]. Now, take the reciprocal of both sides, and you will obtain x2=1800.

A quick comment about your notation in the penultimate line: The right hand side would generally be written as [itex](5.56 \times 10^{-4})^{-1/2}[/itex]

Just seconding what cristo said: you have 3600x-2- 2= 0 so
3600x-2= 2 or x-2= 2/3600= 1/1800. That means that x2= 1800= (2)9(100). [itex]x= \pmsqrt{2}(3)(10)= \pm30\sqrt{2}[/itex]. That's approximately 42.4. (Since x is a distance, it must be positive.)

1. What is the process for calculating equations?

The process for calculating equations involves identifying known values, determining the appropriate mathematical operations to use, and solving for the unknown variable. This may involve simplifying expressions, using algebraic manipulations, and applying mathematical rules and formulas.

2. How do I check my work when solving calculus word problems?

To double check your work when solving calculus word problems, it is important to go back through your solution and ensure that all steps are correct and accounted for. This may involve plugging your solution back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the given conditions, or using a graphing calculator to visually confirm your answer.

3. What are common mistakes to watch out for when calculating equations?

Common mistakes when calculating equations include errors in algebraic manipulations, forgetting to carry units throughout the problem, and making calculation errors. It is important to check your work carefully and be mindful of any mathematical rules or formulas that may apply to the problem.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for calculus word problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills for calculus word problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of problems. Additionally, breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and using visualization techniques can also be helpful in solving complex problems.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can assist with calculating equations?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to assist with calculating equations. These include graphing calculators, equation solvers, and online tutorials and practice problems. It is important to use these resources as a supplement to your own understanding and not rely on them completely.