CalculusAB AP test. How do I do this?

• Thread starter DyslexicHobo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Test
In summary, the conversation discussed a student's experience taking the Calculus AB AP test, specifically a problem involving function composition. The conversation also touched on differentiable functions, the mean value theorem, and the inverse function. The student was looking for help in solving the problem and found a helpful website for reference.
DyslexicHobo
I took the Calculus AB AP test, and there were a total of 6 open-ended problems. Most of them I knew exactly how to do, but there was one in particular that gave me some real problems. We haven't done much on function composition, so maybe that's why I couldn't do it (but I have the feeling that I'm just overlooking something).

This table is given:
Code:
x       f(x)       f'(x)      g(x)       g'(x)

1        6          4          2            5

2        9          2          3            1

3        10        -4          4            2

4        -1         3          6            7

The functions f and g are differentiable for all real numbers, and g is strictly increasing. The table above gives the values of the functions and their first derivatives at selected values of x. The function h is given by h(x) = f(g(x)) - 6.

a) Explain why there must be a value r for 1 < r < 3 such that h(r) = -5

b) Explain why there must be a value c for 1 < c < 3 such that h'(c) = -5

c) Let w be the function given by w(x) = integral of f(t)dt from 1 to g(x). Find the value of w'(3).

d) If g^-1 is the inverse function of g, write an equation for the line tangent to the graph of y = g^-1(x) at x=2

So far, all I've established is that f and g are continuous, g'(x) will always be positive, and g(x) will always be less than g(x+1). Everything I know is just the obvious, I don't know where to go next! Can someone please give me the solution so I can quit worrying about this stupid problem?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, let's take a look at part a). When you have a composite function f(g(x)), whatever the x value is (or r value in this case), you plug that number in for g(x), whatever value that yields, you then plug into f(x). So for part a, the x values are all increasing from (2,4) on the r interval 1<r<3. So now, we plug in values 2-4 on the f(x), and we see that because it is continuos, at some point on that interval f(x) must equal 1. We need it to equal 1 so that it will satisfy the given h(r)=-5.

part b) the derivative for a composite is defined as such if h(x)=f(g(x)), then h'(x)=f'(g(x))g'(x). (BTW the 6 cancels b/c it is a constant) As stated previoulsy, the g(x) values will be between 2-4, so now we must look at the f'(x) values on that interval. By plugging in values, you see that h'(2)=2 and h'(3)=-8. Because of continuity, it must =-5 on that interval.

part c) By definition, the derivative of that integral is just f(g(3)).

i agree with nate on most of the parts, but

the explanation i used for b is as follows, and i think this is the explanation the graders are looking for.

the average rate of change of h on (1,3) is -5. h(3) = -7, h(1) = 3
-7-3/2 = -5
Therefore, by the mean value theorem, there must be some value in (1,3) whose derivative is -5 because there has to be a value where the derivative is equal to the avg rate of change.

for c, nate forgot the chain rule. w'(x) is actually f(g(x)) * g'(x). You got to do the chain rule when endpoints are functions. So w'(3) is f(g(3)) * g'(3)

for d, u must remember the equality that the derivative of the inverse of the y value is equal to 1/(derivative at x)

so, it asks for the tangent line of the inverse of g when the function is at 2. Remembr with inverse, the ordered pairs are switched. So in the original function, it's the y value that is 2. So the ordered pair you will use is (2,1). So, the derivative is 1/(g'(1)) = 1/5
so the slope of the tangent line is y-1 = 1/5 (x-2)

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation. I feel kind of dumb for not knowing how to do this on the test. I made it seem much harder than it really was (I wasn't even able to get part of it).

nate808 said:
part b) the derivative for a composite is defined as such if h(x)=f(g(x)), then h'(x)=f'(g(x))g'(x). (BTW the 6 cancels b/c it is a constant) As stated previoulsy, the g(x) values will be between 2-4, so now we must look at the f'(x) values on that interval. By plugging in values, you see that h'(2)=2 and h'(3)=-8. Because of continuity, it must =-5 on that interval.
You appear to be using the intermediate value theorem on h'. How do you know that h' is continuous?

phoenixthoth said:
You appear to be using the intermediate value theorem on h'. How do you know that h' is continuous?

That's a good point! Can someone please prove that h'(r) is continuous?

Also, if anyone is interested, I found this site: http://users.adelphia.net/~sismondo/AB073.html (link to this problem)

http://users.adelphia.net/~sismondo/ (link to homepage)

if a function is differentiable on a given interval, that means it's derivative is continuous on that interval.

pakmingki said:
if a function is differentiable on a given interval, that means it's derivative is continuous on that interval.
Not true. For example:
[tex]f\left( x\right) =\left\{
\begin{array}{cc}
0, & x=0 \\
x^{2}\sin \left( 1/x\right) , & x\neq 0
\end{array}
\right. [/tex]

Last edited:
anyody can ask a question so it is hard to understand. I am a professional mathematician, and that **** table of values is so eye boggling i cannot even bring myself to read it. don't feel bad. these are just stupid standardized tests. In real life, the point is not to answer tricky questions, but to ponder hard ones.

1. What is the format of the Calculus AB AP test?

The Calculus AB AP test is a 3-hour exam that consists of two sections: multiple-choice and free-response. The multiple-choice section contains 45 questions and accounts for 50% of the final score, while the free-response section contains 6 questions and accounts for the remaining 50% of the score.

2. How is the Calculus AB AP test graded?

The multiple-choice section is scored by a computer, while the free-response section is scored by trained AP Calculus teachers and college professors. Each section is graded on a scale of 1-5, with a score of 5 being the highest. The overall score is a combination of the two section scores.

3. What topics are covered on the Calculus AB AP test?

The Calculus AB AP test covers a wide range of topics, including limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of calculus. It also includes topics such as differential equations, slope fields, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. How can I prepare for the Calculus AB AP test?

To prepare for the Calculus AB AP test, it is important to thoroughly review all the topics covered in the course. This can be done through practice problems, review books, and online resources. It is also helpful to take practice tests and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. Can I use a calculator on the Calculus AB AP test?

Yes, a graphing calculator is allowed on the Calculus AB AP test. However, it is important to note that not all questions can be solved using a calculator, and students are expected to show their work and explain their reasoning in the free-response section.