1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calcutating the volume of HNO3

1. Apr 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Q: Calculate the volume of 0.6M HNO3 necessary to neutralize 28.55 mL of 0.45M KOH?

2. Relevant equations
    My solution: HNO3 + KOH = H20 + KNO3 (KNO3 is the neutral salt

3. The attempt at a solution

the stoich is 1:1:1:1, so I took the 28.55 mL of KOH and converted to L which came out to be .02855 liters of KOH. I then took those liters and multiplied by .45M and divided by 1 liter to get .0128 moles KOH. Since the stoich is 1:1 the moles of KOH is the same as the moles of HNO3. So I took the 0.128 moles of HNO3 and divided by the .6M that was given in the question..since M equals # of moles/liter of solution I just rearranged that equation to solve for liters and the result is .0213 liters and then multiplied by 1000 to get 21.3mL?

Any suggestions, help here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you saying "moles of nitric acid equals moles of potassium hydroxide"?
    Are then equating the two expressions which tell those moles?

Ma*Va = Mb*Vb

The unknown value is the variable, Va. (excuse the notation here not using true subscripts)
  4. Apr 14, 2007 #3
    Yes the stoichiometry of the equation is 1:1 so the moles of KOH is equivalent to the moles of HNO3. I must just be plugging something in wrong ? can you tell by what I have written? I know you are getting 21.4 and I am 21.3 but still I want to be right

Thanks and let me know
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?