Calcutating the volume of HNO3

• Thread starter h20h
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, to calculate the volume of 0.6M HNO3 needed to neutralize 28.55 mL of 0.45M KOH, use the equation Ma*Va=Mb*Vb where Ma and Mb are the molarities of the acid and base and Va and Vb are the corresponding volumes. Since the stoichiometry of the reaction is 1:1, the moles of KOH is equivalent to the moles of HNO3. By rearranging the equation to solve for Va, the result is 21.3 mL of HNO3 needed.
h20h

Homework Statement

Q: Calculate the volume of 0.6M HNO3 necessary to neutralize 28.55 mL of 0.45M KOH?

Homework Equations

My solution: HNO3 + KOH = H20 + KNO3 (KNO3 is the neutral salt

The Attempt at a Solution

the stoich is 1:1:1:1, so I took the 28.55 mL of KOH and converted to L which came out to be .02855 liters of KOH. I then took those liters and multiplied by .45M and divided by 1 liter to get .0128 moles KOH. Since the stoich is 1:1 the moles of KOH is the same as the moles of HNO3. So I took the 0.128 moles of HNO3 and divided by the .6M that was given in the question..since M equals # of moles/liter of solution I just rearranged that equation to solve for liters and the result is .0213 liters and then multiplied by 1000 to get 21.3mL?

Any suggestions, help here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying "moles of nitric acid equals moles of potassium hydroxide"?
Are then equating the two expressions which tell those moles?

Ma*Va = Mb*Vb

The unknown value is the variable, Va. (excuse the notation here not using true subscripts)

Yes the stoichiometry of the equation is 1:1 so the moles of KOH is equivalent to the moles of HNO3. I must just be plugging something in wrong ? can you tell by what I have written? I know you are getting 21.4 and I am 21.3 but still I want to be right

Thanks and let me know

1. How do you calculate the volume of HNO3?

The volume of HNO3 can be calculated by multiplying the concentration of the solution (in moles per liter) by its total volume (in liters).

2. What is the formula for calculating the volume of HNO3?

The formula for calculating the volume of HNO3 is: volume = concentration (in mol/L) x volume (in L).

3. What units are used for measuring the volume of HNO3?

The volume of HNO3 is typically measured in liters (L) or milliliters (mL).

4. How do you convert the volume of HNO3 from milliliters to liters?

To convert from milliliters (mL) to liters (L), divide the volume in milliliters by 1000.

5. Can the volume of HNO3 be calculated using its mass?

No, the volume of HNO3 cannot be directly calculated using its mass. The concentration of the solution must be known in order to calculate the volume.