Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calibrating a Hall probe (again!)

1. May 4, 2005 #1
    Ok, like all A2 students i've got this darn planning exp.

For the calibration of my Hall probe I have proposed measuring the voltage from two fields of known strength.

By using a solenoid (a uniform field) I can use the equation B=Miu n L to work out the flux of the field but have become a wee bit stuck.

How exactly do I do this? If i use a field of 0T and then another one of say 100T, am I trying to work out what 1v corresponds to in Tesla?

I'm all over the place here, any help please! :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2005 #2
    I do not quite understand what is the problem. If you know what is the field value at two points you can draw a line because the Hall resistance is proportional to the magnetic field. So you may fix the current and measure the voltage at a known field. Then you may assume that at zero field thre will be zero voltage at the same current. It is not exactly so, but as a first and good approximation that will work. Better to take more points through which you can draw a curve.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?