1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calibrating a Hall probe (again!)

1. May 4, 2005 #1
    Ok, like all A2 students i've got this darn planning exp.

For the calibration of my Hall probe I have proposed measuring the voltage from two fields of known strength.

By using a solenoid (a uniform field) I can use the equation B=Miu n L to work out the flux of the field but have become a wee bit stuck.

How exactly do I do this? If i use a field of 0T and then another one of say 100T, am I trying to work out what 1v corresponds to in Tesla?

I'm all over the place here, any help please! :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2005 #2
    I do not quite understand what is the problem. If you know what is the field value at two points you can draw a line because the Hall resistance is proportional to the magnetic field. So you may fix the current and measure the voltage at a known field. Then you may assume that at zero field thre will be zero voltage at the same current. It is not exactly so, but as a first and good approximation that will work. Better to take more points through which you can draw a curve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?