Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calibrating a Hall Probe

1. May 18, 2005 #1
    Hi there! Im have to plan an investigation. I have to calibrate a Hall probe to measure magnetic flux density and then investigate how the separation between two bar magnets has an effect on the magnetic flux density.

Can anyone help with calibrating a hall probe? I have searched the net and text books but they all tell you about the Hall effect and not a steo by step calibration method.

Also how can I be sure I am keeping the Hall probe directly between two bar magents? do I need a guide, or hover over a ruler to measure the distance (making sure Im exactly half way between two mountd bar magnets)

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!1

Im so stuck and any help would be sooo appreciated.

Thanks guys

XXXXX :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. May 18, 2005 #3
    Thank you for your speedy reply!

I think I checked out a forum, maybe it wad that one. Just one thing, if you're still online, when they say place the probe in a known field, how do know the field?!?! Im gettin my headin a muddle haha The graph for calibration is B against V yeh? Well you measure V on the voltmeter but how do you know B???

Thank you again
    xxxxxx

5. May 18, 2005 #4
    Even though I haven't read the other forums, I would suggest a Helmholtz coil. Check out this page on how the Helmholtz coil pair works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?