What is the null point for calibrating an instrument in deep space?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Instrument
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calibrating an instrument in deep space. It suggests two methods: measuring a known quantity or comparing it to a primary standard. Examples of quantities that can be easily measured with reasonable accuracy include time, temperature, voltage, and resistance. However, calibrating a scale is more difficult as it requires an artifact. The conversation also mentions the challenge of finding a zero energy level in deep space and suggests that some gravity may still exist even in a screened off volume of space.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How would one calibrate an instrument in deep space, the instrument must be set to a zero point and the instrument could be effected by any force.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the question is a bit too general. You need to specify what type of instrument it is, what "any force" means and the desired accuracy.
There are two ways to calibrate an instrument: Measuring a known quantity (usually a secondary standard) or by directly comparing it to a primary standard.
Time, temperature, voltage and resistance are examples of quantities where you can quite easily make and measure a primary standard with reasonable accuracy. Calibrating a scale (weight) is much harder since you need an artifact.

f95toli said:
I think the question is a bit too general. You need to specify what type of instrument it is, what "any force" means and the desired accuracy.
There are two ways to calibrate an instrument: Measuring a known quantity (usually a secondary standard) or by directly comparing it to a primary standard.
Time, temperature, voltage and resistance are examples of quantities where you can quite easily make and measure a primary standard with reasonable accuracy. Calibrating a scale (weight) is much harder since you need an artifact.

This harder than i thought, is there a way to find zero energy level, given that any of a range of instuments would be in deep space?

May be if i ask ,what is deemed to be a zero energy energy point?

Edit

Given that (i think some gravity will exisit).

Last edited:
If it was possible to screen off a volume of space from all outside influences, i guess there would still be energy in that volume, and as energy can be positive as well as negative (what would be the null point)?

What is the purpose of calibrating an instrument?

Calibrating an instrument is the process of adjusting and testing an instrument to ensure that it is accurately measuring and recording data. This is important to ensure the reliability and accuracy of the instrument's measurements.

How often should an instrument be calibrated?

The frequency of calibration depends on the type of instrument and its intended use. Generally, instruments used for critical measurements should be calibrated more frequently, while instruments used for less critical measurements may need to be calibrated less often. Consult the manufacturer's recommendations for specific calibration intervals.

What factors can affect the accuracy of an instrument's calibration?

Factors that can affect an instrument's calibration include environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, as well as wear and tear on the instrument over time. Improper handling or storage of the instrument can also impact its calibration.

How is an instrument calibrated?

The calibration process typically involves comparing the instrument's measurements to a known standard or reference. If there are any discrepancies, adjustments are made to bring the instrument's measurements into agreement with the standard. This may involve adjusting internal settings, replacing parts, or making other modifications.

Can an instrument be calibrated by anyone?

No, calibrating an instrument requires specialized knowledge, equipment, and procedures. It is best to have a trained and experienced professional perform instrument calibration to ensure accurate and reliable results.