Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calibrating an instrument

1. Oct 10, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

How would one calibrate an instrument in deep space, the instrument must be set to a zero point and the instrument could be effected by any force.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2007 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the question is a bit too general. You need to specify what type of instrument it is, what "any force" means and the desired accuracy.
    There are two ways to calibrate an instrument: Measuring a known quantity (usually a secondary standard) or by directly comparing it to a primary standard.
    Time, temperature, voltage and resistance are examples of quantities where you can quite easily make and measure a primary standard with reasonable accuracy. Calibrating a scale (weight) is much harder since you need an artifact.

4. Oct 10, 2007 #3

wolram

Gold Member

This harder than i thought, is there a way to find zero energy level, given that any of a range of instuments would be in deep space?

5. Oct 11, 2007 #4

wolram

Gold Member

May be if i ask ,what is deemed to be a zero energy energy point?

Edit

Given that (i think some gravity will exisit).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  6. Oct 11, 2007 #5

wolram

Gold Member

If it was possible to screen off a volume of space from all outside influences, i guess there would still be energy in that volume, and as energy can be positive as well as negative (what would be the null point)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?