Calibration Curves: Understanding How to Find Concentration of Unknowns

In summary, a calibration curve is a graph that is used to determine the concentration of an unknown compound by measuring a property, such as light absorbance, from a series of standard solutions of that compound. To find the concentration of the unknown, the absorbance value would be either plugged into the curve equation or matched with its corresponding x or y value. The term "calibration curve" may have originated from a time when it was easier to plot a curve and read the result rather than using equations, although this method may be less accurate.
BogMonkey
I looked this up but couldn't find sufficient information on it. What I know is that calibration curves are used to find the concentration of an unknown compound by graphing a series of measurements of a property like light absorbance from standard solutions of that compound. What I don't get is how this graph would be used to find the concentration of unknowns though. Let's say I measure the absorbance of an unknown would I just plug the absorbance value into the curve equation or just find the corresponding x (or y) value? If so is that all they mean when they say calibration curve?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My bet is that calibration curve (as a name) was used first in ancient times when it was much easier to plot a curve and then read the result from the curve. You know, before calculators and stuff. Technically that's the same as using curve equation, just much faster and much simpler when you have to do all calculations by hand. Also less accurate, but that's another story.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a calibration curve?

A calibration curve is a graph that shows the relationship between the concentration of a known substance and the measured response of an instrument. It is used to determine the concentration of unknown samples by comparing their measured response to the curve.

2. Why is it important to have a calibration curve?

Having a calibration curve is important because it allows for accurate and precise determination of the concentration of unknown samples. It also helps to ensure the reliability and validity of the instrument being used for measurement.

3. How is a calibration curve created?

A calibration curve is created by measuring the response of the instrument to a series of known concentrations of the substance of interest. The data is then plotted on a graph, with concentration on the x-axis and response on the y-axis. A line of best fit is then drawn through the data points to create the calibration curve.

4. What are the factors that can affect a calibration curve?

The factors that can affect a calibration curve include the accuracy and precision of the measurements, the purity and stability of the known substance, and the condition and calibration of the instrument being used.

5. How can a calibration curve be used to find the concentration of unknown samples?

To find the concentration of unknown samples using a calibration curve, their measured response is compared to the curve. The point on the curve that corresponds to the measured response is then used to determine the concentration of the unknown sample. This can be done by either interpolating between two data points on the curve or by using the equation of the line of best fit.