1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calibration Uncertainty for average results when digital meter used for readings

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to work out the total uncertainty for a measurement, so am using the square root of the reading uncertainty squared + calibration uncertainty squared + random uncertainty squared equation.

I have found in a textbook of mine that the calibration uncertainty for a digital meter (which i used to measure all my results for voltage) is plus or minus 0.5% of the reading + 1 in the least significant digit. Now i have made up tables with all my results for V already, but does this mean i have to put in a calibration uncertainty for every single measurement made; i.e. V at 10ms, V at 30ms etc? And also how would i work out a value to use for the whole calibration uncertainty to use in the equation?

Thanks very much for your time

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted