Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calif Gov Davis to face recall vote

1. Jul 23, 2003 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-07-23-davis_x.htm

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha. And he's the best the Democrats can do for a presidential candidate. ROFLMAO.

Other opinions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2003 #2
    hahaha... that gave me a good laugh. Why would someone even attempt that? ha.

4. Jul 24, 2003 #3
    Uh huh...how funny, the Repugnicans are subverting the will of the people in Florida, Texas, and now California. Very funny.

5. Jul 24, 2003 #4
    Good job, traitors:
    the system of government wherein a council of judges decides the ruling individuals = Monarchy.

6. Jul 24, 2003 #5
    'Traitor' is a bit harsh, don't you think? 'Anti-Ame4rican scum' works, though.

7. Jul 24, 2003 #6
    Shadow, what the heck are you talking about? Nowhere in that article does it say anything about Davis cheating to get elected. If you have another source, could you post a link?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2003
  8. Jul 24, 2003 #7
    Sorry I know that reply doesn't make sense, I guess its just one of those moments you get, when you cant think. I was trying to post on the forums while eat and type up some of the second chapter in the book I am writing. I'll delte the post.

9. Jul 24, 2003 #8
    Presidential candidate?

10. Jul 25, 2003 #9

russ_watters

Attempt, eh? You don't think with all the problems in CA, it will succeed? I'd bet money that it will.
    How could something that is provided for by law be a subversion of the will of the people? Its a direct action by the people based on the AWFUL job Davis has done.
    Um... ok.

Now I'm just not sure you guys understand what a recall vote is and what it is for.
    Sorry. I got my list of candidates messed up.

11. Jul 25, 2003 #10

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Davis is paying the price for his inept administration. Part of his demise is from the reliance of California on a progressive state income tax. This liberal Democrat tax to promote and fund liberal policies failed to generate sufficient income after the well-paid jobs in Silicon Valley dried up. Yeah! Tax the higher income earners until there’s none left to tax. Tax the industry until there’s none left to tax. Regulate the utilities until there’s none left to regulate. Rely on out of state power generation and complain they charge too much. Why let electrical utilities build in California and harm the habitat of a sub, sub, sub, sub species of fish. Irrigate LA and SF and dry up those pesky environmental unfriendly farms, orchards, and ranches. Mexico and the SW states don’t need water do they! Let the dead trees rot on the ground and release CO2 for 10 years instead of building homes.

This self-inflicted liberal blight would be funny were it not a giant albatross for the rest of us.

12. Jul 25, 2003 #11

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Forgot my nominees for California Governor.

Kemp
    Riordan
    Schwarzenegger
    Issa

Sorry, I can’t think of any qualified Democrats (oxymoron?).

13. Jul 26, 2003 #12
    So it's Davis's fault that the economy hit the crapper? Should he instead taxed the hell out of poor people? Do you really think that a flat tax would have made any noticeable difference?

Hmm, I can't really say anything here. I don't know enough about the situation and how Davis was involved.

If you think that that is the worst environmental problem that exists, then you are sadly, sadly mistaken. What about the smog in Los Angeles. There are also entire ecosystems being torn apart, not just a "sub sub sub sub" species of fish.

Is it Davis's fault that an incredible number of people live in a very arid area? Do you really think that Davis is responsible for all the irrigation in California? Irrigation goes back many decades, and no governor has implemented sustainable methods.

14. Jul 27, 2003 #13

russ_watters

Partially, yes. He had a lot to do with the electric power deregulation debacle, didn't he? And hey, welcome to democracy: regardless of what you do, you get the credit or blame for what goes on when you happen to be in the room.

15. Jul 27, 2003 #14
    Yes but Davis is the governor so the irrigation does go by him and when there are problems like this he should do something about it.

California is over-run with people, they need to start controlling this. With all the power outages last year and getting power from all over the US, I think they need to clean up their act! I agree with Geniere, Mexico doesn't have all that much money, and even if some people do, the farmers certainly dont.

16. Jul 28, 2003 #15

????

What 'left' are you talking about? The Dems are the moderate party, with Clinton as a perfect centrist example.

17. Aug 3, 2003 #16
    Larry Flint is running for govenor

at least he is not a crook. unlike most of the others

18. Aug 4, 2003 #17
    Davis sucks, bigtime, but he was just re-elected -- what, 7 months ago? 8 months? And the recall campaign started months and months ago.

I'm all for will of the people prevailing and all, but it's pretty screwed-up to try and recall someone a couple months after they're elected. This is too much just like shouting "do-over!" cause you didn't like the results the first time.

I can see recalling a politician if they flagrantly violate the will of the people, or are involved in some scandal.... but Davis hasn't done anything since he got re-elected. He hasn't had a chance to.

---

The recall promises to be massively entertaining though.... so far we have as announced or likely candidates:

1) Darrell Issa, a reformed car thief who's been arrested for (among other things) illegally carrying a loaded semiautomatic pistol in his glovebox.

2) Arnold "I will terminate zeez budget deficits" Schwarzenegger. Nuff said.

3) The frontman for the punk band TSOL, which had a single "Abolish Government."

4) Larry Flint.

5) Columnist Arianna Huffigton, who used to be an outspoken conservative but turned liberal in the past couple years -- she was behind those "buying SUVs supports the terrorists" ads.

6) Arianna's ex-husband Michael, a former Republican Congressman. Oh yeah, they divorced when he came out of the closet. He's still a staunch Republican, though.

Only in California... :D

19. Aug 4, 2003 #18

russ_watters

Damgo, I agree with you - my interest here is about 90% for the entertainment value. I think the recall vote actually exposes a flaw in the State Constitution.

20. Aug 5, 2003 #19
    Gee whiz, russ, have you looked at his platform? "Gov'ner" Flynt is for legalizing gambling, prostitution, and using proceeds from the taxes to balance the CA state budget! Will that be great? Who knows, but it Shows ya something: there are a lot of rich guys in this country, a lot of wierd rich guys, and so if politics is reduced to pure capitalism, Businessmen will rule, whose code is the law of the jungle.
    least, that's how I sees it.

21. Aug 5, 2003 #20

russ_watters

I didn't comment on Larry Flynt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?