Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

California Fires

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2
    Makes me wonder about the role of wild fires in the geologic past. From soot, black carbon and ammonia records it appears that there have been periods of intense wildfires in the late Pleistocene and Holocene, likely without interference of men. Just very tough for the people being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

These people have been in the wrong place at the wrong time for many decades. If you build mansions in chaparral (which NEEDS to burn periodically to regenerate) and suppress all brush fires, eventually the scrub builds up to the point at which no firefighting efforts can be effective. It doesn't help when hot, dry winds roar up these canyons.

People who build in chaparral regions are no more responsible than people who build on dangerous flood-plains or on low islands subject to hurricanes.

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wonder how many people are devastated at the thought of their house burning down and how many are cheering, "Burn, Baby, Burn!"

L.A. County home prices drop 35%

6. Nov 15, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My first thought was a group of cheering real estate agents.

7. Nov 15, 2008 #6
    Million dollar homes burn to the ground. All that is left are swimming pools full of water.:rolleyes:

8. Nov 15, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

And when the winter rains come after all the ground-cover and roots are burned, they'll be crying about the mud-slides. What's the definition of insanity again? :rolleyes:

9. Nov 15, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hope MiH is OK, as well as all other PFers in the LA area.

10. Nov 15, 2008 #9
    I wish I lived in Nevada and had a giant marshmallow and a long stick.

But seriously, hopes that everyone in the LA area is okay.

11. Nov 15, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Probably nothing to worry about, unless we have some millionaire members who can afford to live in the canyons. Oprah, Rob Lowe, et al, chime in if you're on-line here.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  12. Nov 15, 2008 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the good wishes. The fires are pretty far away from me. We're getting a lot of ash in the air, though. (ack ack wheeze!)
    We're having really warm weather here (in the low 90s today), and the Santa Ana winds have been blowing again. The hot dry winds are not helping the poor firefighters very much. :(

13. Nov 15, 2008 #12
    ... and several hundred mobile homes owned by senior citizens.

14. Nov 15, 2008 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think his point was that in the current property market some well insured home owners might not have done all they could to rescue the houses

Running for your life LA style
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  15. Nov 17, 2008 #14
    LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Christopher Lloyd says he has a "different awareness" after returning to his burned-out Montecito home.
    The "Back to the Future" and "Taxi" actor told ABC's "Good Morning America" that he wouldn't rebuild the $11 million home in the celebrity enclave northwest of Los Angeles. It was among dozens of homes lost in wildfires.

"You watch TV, you see these kinds of incidents happening here and there, but you look with a kind of detachment because it's happening ... elsewhere," he said, walking through the rubble. "But suddenly to be in the midst of it, it's a very different awareness."

Lloyd said he'd been putting off organizing and storing memorabilia that he'd kept at the house.

"Kind of don't have to worry about that now," he said.

16. Nov 17, 2008 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm ashamed to admit that the same thought came to my mind too. Lots of rich people with no houses. Just what the real estate market needs!

17. Nov 17, 2008 #16

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

An interesting question is how many that burned were under foreclosure?

18. Nov 17, 2008 #17
    Thank you LisaB! I think the few of us around here are in the urban areas and have too much concrete and asphault between us and fires to worry that much. Though we get the ash rains that always make me want to listen to MegaDeth.

Do you remember those nut bags a few years ago that were looking to sue any one and everyone and get government assistence for the homes they bought that they couldn't even get insurance for?

In some cases you're just gambling your life and finances away for a pretty view.

19. Nov 18, 2008 #18
    Hope all PFers in the area are recovering. We have family there and watch the maps carefully. There are volunteer firefighters in our group too but have not heard from them. A couple days ago one of my former homes brunt in Yorba Linda.
    This has been very scary. Fire is such a powerful force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?