Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

California high school exit exam

1. Feb 9, 2006 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/education/20060209-0016-ca-exitexam-lawsuit.html

So ... do you think an exit exam is "illegal [and discriminatory]" ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2006 #2
    no, its not illegal, and is not discriminatory, everyone takes it. if you are in special ed, then you should have different requirements, but a program for students who need extra assistance does not sound like sped to me.

Edit: so i guess it might discriminate against special ed students, but not her.

4. Feb 9, 2006 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wish we had it.

It weeds out lots of people.

5. Feb 9, 2006 #4
    but do you really want to pay all the tax money for them when they spend 3 years as a senior?

6. Feb 9, 2006 #5
    I would prefer to see an exit exam for each grade. get the kids used to taking a test in order to advance. plus it's easier to teach someone one years worth of material instead of 10 years worth.

7. Feb 9, 2006 #6
    We have to take one in order to graduate in Alaska, I passed and didn't think it was hard, but my scores were not to much higher than the minimum in order to pass, which is really weird, but the questions were so stupid like writing an essay on your favorite Alaskan animal, I know that is definitely something I need to know how to do to graduate... I don't like them because they're a waste of time but they do weed out the people who just shouldn't graduate.

8. Feb 9, 2006 #7
    If you can't pass a 9th grade level math exam by your senior year you will never succeed in life, regardless of whether or not you get a high school diploma.

9. Feb 9, 2006 #8

cronxeh

Gold Member

Thats not true. There are a lot of artists and musicians, not to mention business(men/women) who dropped out of HS early on.

10. Feb 9, 2006 #9
    These kinds of exams are a bloody joke.

11. Feb 9, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I live in California, Antarctica!

I took that exit exam 1st semester in 10th grade and I passed it quite handedly. People need to f'n realize that IF YOU CAN'T PASS THIS TEST, YOU DO NOT KNOW ENOUGH TO HAVE A DIPLOMA. It is plain and simple! You do not recieve a diploma because you went to high school for 4 years, you recieve it because you LEARNED for 4 years of high school!

They had an article today in the Fresno Bee that SAID IT ALL. This girl has a 3.64 gpa or so and she did NOT pass the exam test and her response was "I've been here 4 years, i deserve my diploma!". NO! I think the REAL problem with what she says is.... 3.6GPA????? How can someone be so stupid yet do so well? Because teachers are screwing up, they can't give students the grades they deserve and they can't set standards or else people complain.

I have a friend, he is poor, not very bright, barely had a graduation-level GPA...and he passed the test! If someone cannot pass this test, they did not learn a thing in high school and do not deserve that diploma.

12. Feb 10, 2006 #11
    Doesn't everyone have to take tests like that to graduate? Kind of like those SAT things you guys take? We had to take diploma exams and if you failed english and/or social you didn't graduate. If you failed any of the others you either didn't have enough credits to graduate or didn't recieve the credit for the course but still graduated assuming you passed the others. I don't see what the big deal is. If she knew the stuff she will pass, if she doesnt then maybe she should study a little harder.

13. Feb 10, 2006 #12

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Well here in my country there are final tests for each grade, and if you don't pass it, you either get expelled or repeat the grade (for 9-12, you get expelled).

14. Feb 10, 2006 #13

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Aren't exit exams standard? Are people who fail forced to repeat?

15. Feb 10, 2006 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, unless you want to drop out. You don't get a diploma unless you pass...so that the diploma actually means something.

I have one suggestion to make the people suing a little happier. The school can hand out Attendance Certificates. Yeah, they're not Diplomas, but they say you've spent 4 years here, and you can frame them and hang them on the wall ! :biggrin: That way, there's at least some honesty to the piece of paper.

16. Feb 10, 2006 #15
    Maybe we should make a law where if you don't pass high school within four years, you have to start paying for it yourself.

17. Feb 10, 2006 #16
    In ze my country you get tossed out of HS after 4 years. But you can finish it in an "adult-HS" which is mostly intended for people already past the normal highschool age but wish to go back to school for some reason. There's a small fee for the education but it's around $100 a year.

18. Feb 10, 2006 #17

matthyaouw

Gold Member

In Britain, you get graded A*-G in all of your subjects individually, with C or over considered a pass. If you want to repeat, you have to arrange it yourself, normally at a college rather than your school.

19. Feb 10, 2006 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I would DEFINITELY pay for these people to continue their high school education. If they really do spend 3 years longer, that means they do want to get their diploma and they do want that high school education and more power to them. One less high school dropout is fine by me.

20. Feb 10, 2006 #19

My graduating class was supposed to be the first class to have to pass it. Something like 70% of students failed, so they postponed the requirement. Mind you, they calibrated the curve for the test with sophomores. The test was an absolute joke. If you can't pass it, I'm sorry, you don't deserve a high school diploma. At some point, you have to be accountable for meeting a certain level of performance if you want to be awarded a diploma saying you have met that level. Welcome to reality.

21. Feb 10, 2006 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree. And I think this lawsuit sends a horrible message. What expectations will these kids have when they leave school? Do they think they will be entitled to a paycheck just because they show up at the job site every day and stay for eight hours?

I just can't understand how these kids have high GPAs, but can't pass the exit exam. All I can figure is that some of these kids are making good grades in their English classes, but they are ESL classes, so they might not have the same reading comprehension and the composition skills that students learn in traditional (non-ESL English) classes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?