Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

California's Prop 82, im sick of it

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think theres quite a few Californians here so I think its a suitable discussion topic. To me, its just pissing me off to no end. Both sides are just plastering kids faces on the screens and if i hear the phrase "expensive preschool bureaucracy" one more time, im going to snap. I mean im leaning towards being against Prop 82 but i swear to god that phrase makes my blood boil. Preschool bureaucracy????? WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT EVEN MEAN???? I'm losing it, whats everyones opinion on it?

http://www.ss.ca.gov/elections/elections_viguide06.htm

OH MY GOD ANOTHER COMMERCIAL!??!??! SHOOT ME NOW!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just read both props (very quickly). I think I'd vote NO on both, but I'm not Californian!

I just don't see any really convincing arguments for either of them. Literacy isn't low because 4-year-olds aren't in school. It's low because 14-year-olds don't think it's worth the effort. And unless the public library system is in serious disrepair or is overburdened, I don't think renovations or additions will have a noticeable impact on literacy.

4. Jun 1, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I haven't even read prop 81, let me check it out.

These can't be the only 2 propositions on the ballot this month...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  5. Jun 1, 2006 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did I ever mention how much I detest Rob Reiner?

Anyhoo, IMHO, it's not the early ed years where we have the crisis. It's somewhere between the 4rth and 12th grade that the system is breaking down. I agree with these folks: http://www.reason.org/pb42_universalpreschool.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?